Does anyone use a combination gun?

njc110381

Hey guys. For a few months now (probably nearly a year) I've been shooting a local estate which grows some commercial timber. The owner has a real grudge against Squirrels and that's how I got the permission. At first all I shot was squirrels, loads of them. The owner has grown to trust me and has now returned the favour for my dedication to his Squirrels by allowing me to take Deer for my own consumption, along with Pheasant, partridge and whatever else I like the look of. It really is a great feeling to be trusted to do as I please. I think it all came together when I mentioned the Deer and the chap said I would never be allowed to shoot them, my reply was fair enough, I'll just keep on at the Squirrels then. A few weeks after we were walking the estate together and I had my Deer rifle (he said I could check the zero in his valley under his supervision, very kind of him). As we were walking he spotted a Roe buck in the grass. I put the bipod down on the rifle (which wasn't loaded) and suggested he take a closer look through the scope. He took me up on the offer and we both watched it for a few minutes, it was very relaxed and didn't seem bothered by our presence. When we were done I started to get up to carry on and he said there was no rush, if I wanted to I could load up and take the shot. I got back down on the rifle, scoped the buck for one last time and then got up and walked away. He looked very surprised that I hadn't taken the shot after asking about the Deer only a few weeks previously and asked my why I'd left it. My reply was that I was there to check the zero as I hadn't used the gun for some time. As I wasn't certain it was shooting well I had to leave it no matter how good an oppertunity it was for me. It was a good buck and it deserved the respect of a well placed shot. He really liked my way of thinking and told me that from that moment I was free to take whatever I wanted from the park as long as I kept the same caring attitude towards the quarry and their numbers (in other words as long as I don't shoot the **** out of it). What a great moment!

Anyway, I've now laid down the story behind why I want to do my best for this guy. I'm very grateful to him for what he's offered me and he's very grateful for my Squirrel bashing service. Now when I go out I can either take the rifle or the shotgun, and that's where the problem lies. I haven't taken a Deer there yet. Every time I see them I have the shotgun which is annoying. More annoying though is that I've been out with the rifle a few times and seen several Squirrels up in the trees and have had to leave them. That really does bug me, I still know why I'm there and I want to do my best for the landowner.

So, I've recently been looking at combi guns. I've applied for a 7mm combi which would allow me either a 7x57r or 7x65r. Both fine calibres for Deer and also Boar if I ever get the chance to go for them. Being non military both rifle cartridges could be used in countries with a military calibre ban. This would be combined with a 12g barrel for the Squirrels and Pheasant (or slug abroad). A perfect gun for the task on this little estate but not restricted to just that. What I need to know is do any of you use one? What make is it and what do you think of it? How does it perform? Open sights or scope? Most of the shooting I will be doing is very close range in the woods. Sometimes so close I can nearly touch the Deer! I'm thinking I need either open sights or something like a 1.5-5x zoom? What do you think? I want to make the right decision and get the right gun, but choices are very limited!

I can't help with the gun, as I have only ever used Drillings with three barrels, and they are a different proposition to double-barreled guns.

However, I would recommend a scope like the S&B Zenith Flashdot 1.1-4x24, on good Q/R mounts. I have that same scope, and used it for boar and Africa. Nothing beats it.

I've just bought a Sabatti Forest Lightweignt in 12/76 - 7x57R

http://www.sabatti.it/eng/framesetsovrapposticannemiste.htm

I went for the model with the detached rifle barrel as it is not as badly effected as those with the attached barrel when the barrel warms up. It also has the ability to move the POI of the rifle barrel to suite the POI of the shotgun barrel, something which you cannot do on the attached variety.

For my scope choice I went with a Meopta Artemis 2000 1.5-6x42 as this is suitable for shooting birds on the wing on 1.5 mag.

http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=227

If your shots are going to be really close then there is no need for a scope, however have you considered getting a scope with QR mounts, that way you can keep the scope in your pack and if a long range shot presents itself you can attach it quietly! this is quite common over here in Scandinavia!

I haven't been to the range yet with my combi, but a friend purchased one at the same time and he is shooting 3 shots into 1.5 inches at 100 meters with S&B. I plan to reload ammunition for mine so I'm hoping we can bring this down to at least 1 inch :blink:

If you plan to reload, you can just buy ordinary 7x57 dies and then get a shell holder to fit the rimmed case! No need to spen stupid amounts of cash of 7x57R dies!

Hope this helps!

Jonathan

njc ,

Thats a very interesting story and reminds me of the way that I secured my farms to shoot over ,many,many years ago . You need to show your landowner some committment and to try and develope a friendship . All these landowners have seen the fly by night pigeon shooters who turn up when it suits them and are not prepared to offer some kind of committment . Well done , any newbies ? then pay attention .

Harnser .

I've been shooting there since late last winter. Wednesday night is the time for shooting in the summer and Wednesday afternoon in the winter. I take time off of work (self employed so do as I please and work is quiet then anyway) to go there when the evenings go dark on me! I haven't missed many weeks, a few due to rain but apart from that I'm there every week. I was out with the shotgun again tonight, got myself another Squirrel in front of the head groundsman.

I think any good permission needs to be earned. If you jump in at the deep end expecting to do what you want it's unlikely to pay off. I respect the owners wishes and never push my luck, and we get on very well because of that. I've never asked for anything, always waited for it to be offered (even the squirrel shooting was offered to me after I was recommended to him). The great thing about this place is you could offer this guy £1m to shoot his patch and he wouldn't have it (he earns that every month selling art) so as long as I do my bit I'm part of the place for a long time to come. I'm not likely to have some posh syndicate nick it from me because money is no object and the owner trusts me not to shoot his statues! :blink: