moderated 410 or pcp rifle

fatjoe

hi guys

just got a permission at a local stables to control the bunnies that are causing mayhem in the paddocks and after having no luck with my old springer have decided to upgrade to either a moderated 410 or a pcp rifle

can anyone give me an idea which to go for.

the gun of choice has to be moderated so i dont disturb the horses

my budget will be approx £300

:yes::lol::lol:

I would choose the rifle. Can't give you a recommendation, but I would recommend making a semi-permanent hide. Let the rabbits come to you. You can put sticks of tufts of grass at known distances, say 35 yards, and that will save guestimating range. And you can read a book while you're waiting. Made mine out of pallets with grass and branches woven in. Way to go!

depending how skittish the rabbits are, a pcp will be alot more silent, if you get a 10 shot you'd probably hit a few before they run, but normally waiting 20 minutes or so, will see them pop out again

if a shotgun is wanted, Id recomend a 410 pedretti hushpower, I picked one up for urban fox control/humaine dispatch in live catch traps, used with a sub sonic cartridge they can be very quite

post-3731-1256682353.jpg

I have both the 410 hushy and a pcp rifle, the pcp is loads quieter without a doubt and better at longer ranges of up to 40 yards on rabbits.

The rabbits will come back out quicker after shooting the pcp rifle. However at least with the .410 you have half a chance if a pigeon flys over or you walk up on a rabbit.

Overall I would say the .410 hushy is more practical and cheaper, probably your best bet really depending on how close to the horses you are likely to be. :good:

Henry

Edited by henry c

I have both the 410 hushy and a pcp rifle, the pcp is loads quieter without a doubt and better at longer ranges of up to 40 yards on rabbits.

The rabbits will come back out quicker after shooting the pcp rifle. However at least with the .410 you have half a chance if a pigeon flys over or you walk up on a rabbit.

Overall I would say the .410 hushy is more practical and cheaper, probably your best bet really depending on how close to the horses you are likely to be. :good:

Henry

The initial outlay may be cheaper,but the price of 410 shells will soon close the gap,i would personally say,a good secondhand pcp would be more suitable for the job in hand,and bag you more bunnies in the longrun,and you can sell headshot rabbits,which will cover your pellet costs :good: BB

hi guys

just got a permission at a local stables to control the bunnies that are causing mayhem in the paddocks and after having no luck with my old springer have decided to upgrade to either a moderated 410 or a pcp rifle

can anyone give me an idea which to go for.

the gun of choice has to be moderated so i dont disturb the horses

my budget will be approx £300

:good::P:P

I picked up a s/h huspower baikel .410 for £200 with a load of carts good tool but still not as quiet as my falcon prairie pcp. I alternate between the two of them though as i enjoy using the little .410. :welcomeani: