L200 TRACKING ANGLE

Conygree

I brought an 03 L200 a few months ago, bit rough but does for estate use with dogs in etc.

It had new H/D rear springs recently fitted but the front was a bit low, sump guard dented - so I wound up the front torsion bars, I guess its a bit high now but about right for rutted muddy tracks.

does anybody know the correct front tracking angle for an 03 L200, so I can check it out on blocks with rails?

thanks in advance :good:

On a separate note it was overdue for cam belt change at 62k (don't trust the mileage). I found the main belt ok but the balance belt was slack & tensioner worn. Also the bottom pulley was freewheeling (common fault?) but to compensate the steering/fan belts were over tightened up. I could hear bearing noise, using a screwdriver as a stethoscope to listen everything sounded ok but I couldn't listen to the water pump, so suspected it was that.

I changed both cam/balance belts & followers, water pump ( sod to get at it went), bottom pulley, fan & steering belts, reset the cam followers and a new rocker gasket - as I suspected the burnt oil spell was only rocker box oil on the exhast, changed all fluids.

It runs very well now oil smell gone - alot of minor repairs but a good truck for rough use. It really changed how it sounds even my wife noticed the difference as I drive up, overall it didn't cost that much to sort out doing it myself, balanced against it's low price.

A week later a friend with an 02 L200 looked in better condition than mine but the cam belt went - trashed the engine = big bill.

One fault was water inside by the back seat suspect the back window seal by the roof rails so used some flowable silicone

Many thanks :good: I will give it a go next weekend

On the L2OO horrors, I found a few more potential probs? on dropping a spanner down the back of the engine I spotted the oil pump was driven by the alternator?? meaning if the fan belt fails the oil pump stops added to my earlier problem of the bottom pulley slipping by failing could mean less oil if the steering belt slips? Also My intercoller looked a bit oiled up from the breather so I removed it and flushed it out with solvent but when emptied some must have stayed in by an air lock, so when the engine started some solvent blew into the engine = big rev up. :lol: seams ok didn't blow up.

Also it didn't start at the weekend, both the engine management light didn't come on nor the heater light, after alot of spanner work found the top induction sensor with some oil on it, cleaned up all working.

I still like the truck but there are some pitfalls :lol:

I'm sure it's the oil pump - one pipe goes to the sump, A brake servo is on top as per normal but I will checkup soon.

A friend had a 'n-reg' mitsu old shogun - fan belt went drove say 1-mile to stop safely assuming He could get away with it but if it also ment no oil pump? but the engine blew up in a cloud of smoke (again will check out the engine) In the past with an old ford, I have had a fanbelt go and drove until safe and been ok??

Yep I changed both belts and fan/steering belts, bottom pulley + water pump (slight bearing noise - not a roadside job on these)

Yep I put down as 60k as I'm not sure of the real mileage (old type of oddmeter), all I was bothered about was getting the belts changed as soon as I paid for the truck. (if it blew up before not my prob) A friend has a 02 L200 - brought from a good garage a few yrs ago but now not sure about it's mileage and the belts failed dropping a valve, so £1.5k for a motor + fitting it out etc in a garage at £70/hr say £2k+ (not sure will find out).

It may sound bad news but I like the truck and didn't want to payout too much for a truck for offroad keeper/woodland use, I always expect do do alot of maintenance to get the reliability up - a fault at home is an inconvenience to me , so spending on spares to avoid a 'real' breakdown away from home on a dark wet night is well worth it for me.

Edited by pigeon popper

• 2 weeks later...

as above, its the brake servo vacuum pump, its oil fed, that's why there's pipes running back down to the sump, some japs have a separate pump, some have them on the back of the alternator, diesel engines don't make decent enough vacuum to run the servo properly, hence the pump