Oil and electricity prices?

White Rabbit

Hi All,

I've spent the last 10 years in a tied cottage with all my bills paid for by my employer. Unfortunatley that looks like it is coming to an end and i will have to rent my own place.

I've found a nice cottage to rent but obviously have to pay the utility bills on it which is where i'm stumped! I'd like a rough idea so that i can draw up a budget. Its a fairly small 2 bedroomed property that has oil fired central heating.

I'm just wondering roughly how much a month or year this is going to cost? I know everyone and every house is different but i'm just after a rough guide as i haven't got a clue!

Thanks everyone.

put aside £100 a month and it should be ample on a 2 bed, obviously depends how warm you like to stay and what your energy useage is like

I'd class ourselves as fairly low usage. We might have no option!! Would the £100 a month cover both oil and electricity? Obviously i would er on the side of caution and add a little bit more.

yes it should do, with your own place its more an incentive to fit energy saving bulbs etc and you will probably be under that as you tend to use more in the winter than the summer etc What influences it is if its a nice old cottage thats drafty and your missus likes to stay warm as then you can have a fair oil bill but it shouldn't be the case on a small place.

We (2 of us) pay £35 per month for elec, and £55 for oil In a 5 bed house.

Check out the loft insulation, and add extra if needed. Minium of 300mm. for 2 bed house about £99 for it fitted via grants etc, or on some of these B&Q offers you might be able to do it yourself for about half that, but it is not a pleasnt job.

Also caity wall insualtion (if the house has a cavity) about £199 for 2 bed end terace.

DO not leave things on stand by, use energy saving bulbs bought when they are on offer, and if it has E7 make full use of that i.e washing machine and dishwasher on at 2am

Edited by V8landy

yes it should do, with your own place its more an incentive to fit energy saving bulbs etc and you will probably be under that as you tend to use more in the winter than the summer etc What influences it is if its a nice old cottage thats drafty and your missus likes to stay warm as then you can have a fair oil bill but it shouldn't be the case on a small place.

I'll buy her a thick jumper!! Thanks for your quick response mate. You've been a massive help as i didn't have a clue!

Thanks again.