Sloe Chutney

smiiithy

Yes I've gone sloe berry mad! Can anybody tell I'm excited about decanting my sloe gin shortly and deciding what to do next with my gined sloes :lol:

Ingredients:

Sloes

2 tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped

2 medium sized onions, sliced

1lb raisins

1 teaspoon of hot chilli powder

2 inch piece of fresh root ginger, grated

1 garlic clove, crushed

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg

12 cloves

juice and grated rind of 2 oranges

1lb of soft brown sugar

1 pint of organic white wine vinegar

Method:

Put the ingredients in a large cooking pot and stir, using a wooden spoon. Bring to the boil and stir occasionally. Reduce the heat so the mixture simmers, stir occasionally, for 3 hours or until it is thick. Ladel into clean, warm jars. Cover, label and leave in a cool place for a couple of months.

If you cook them for 30 minutes never mind 3 hrs, the gin will have disappeared.

For some excellent choccy surprises, squeeze the stone from the fruit and mix with good quality choccy, black & greens (milk or plain)or even the ASDA fairtrade 70%+ cocoa melted in a bain marie (pan and bowl) and then spooned into petit four cases.

If you need extra indulgance just add toasted and flaked almonds/hazelnits/walnuts

The best adult choccy going :good:

Thanks Henry I've been looking at a few bits on sloe choccy. Asda normal dark choc is 50% cocoa and I like to eat that as-is. Do you think this would go well with the sloes or maybe a bit too weak?

Cheers,

Mike

If you cook them for 30 minutes never mind 3 hrs, the gin will have disappeared.

For some excellent choccy surprises, squeeze the stone from the fruit and mix with good quality choccy, black & greens (milk or plain)or even the ASDA fairtrade 70%+ cocoa melted in a bain marie (pan and bowl) and then spooned into petit four cases.

If you need extra indulgance just add toasted and flaked almonds/hazelnits/walnuts

The best adult choccy going :lol: