Any stockmakers here? Looking for a wood blank and possibly a maker

casts_by_fly

Hi All,

I have a SxS that needs a new butt stock. I thought I could manage with what I had, but the process of gluing it back together didn't go so well and the wood/metal fit isn't what I'd hope. So it looks like I am going to have to restock it. The gun isn't worth enough to have my local smith do it as the price of the stock would be far more than the gun. What I'm looking for is a hobbiest gunstock maker that is looking for a project. Or, someone who could do the inletting and rough shaping and I'll do the final shape, sand, and finish. Worst case scenario I'll get a lesser priced blank and try to whittle one out myself.

On that note, anyone know where I could get some walnut blanks? In the US it is easy. Not so much here.

Thanks,

Rick

Wish I could help. I've stocked many rifles and a half dozen or so shotguns, and yes, it is far easier to find blanks, especially in California. In the US it is also easy to find people to do a semi-inlet job for you to finish, or even a reproduction of your stock. If it is a boxlock, the job is easier than a sidelock, but still no cake walk.

There must be someone with a duplicating machine, and the above referenced mill should have a chunk of wood. If you're trying to do it cheaply.... good luck.

Pete

Hi Guys,

I don't know that duplicating would do it. The current stock was broken into 4-5 pieces and glued back together. Plus, I don't want the same shape. It is currently a thin, straight stock with a very narrow comb. I'd like a pistol or POW grip with minimal drop. I have a semiauto that I wouldn't mind a stock copy from.

In terms of dimensions, I'm after about a 14" LOP, maybe a little more, minimal drop/high comb, pistol or POW grip. Color or grade of wood isn't important. It probably won't match the forend anyway.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi

This is one of the blanks I have, originaly cut from a large board for an Air Rifle stock etc.

Just offered up my browning to it and is more than big enough for stock and possibly 2 x forends, dimentions are

Thickness - 2 inches

Total length - 40 inches

Width - 7.5 inches at widest part, tapers down to 2.75 inches

post-16600-1259419157.jpg