Chokes and pressure etc

harrycatcat1

I have a side by side which is an Ebor Spanish gun and I am trying to find out what chokes it has and also if I could use non lead shot in it.

I have been told that I need to find out what it has been pressure tested to (I think).

Anyway bearing in mind it is an old gun and the markings are not great I have had a magnifying glass on it and on one barrel it says "choke 17.6 then 18.3" on the other barrel it says choke "18.?? then 18.??" and on both barrels it says stamped on them T 3.3.

A chap who I spoke to says they will be metric measurements.

My questions are

What chokes are they ?

What non toxic shot would I be able to use if I wanted to use it for wildfowling?

Thanks in advance.

(edited to say this may be in the wrong section)

Edited by harrycatcat1

The BP in a shield means it was proofed to 12090psi ,The gsm in a circle is the maker San Martin Gregorio , K1 is the manufacture date 1965 , The x in a shield means it was proofed in eibar spain , the 850 is the metric proof pressure 850 bar standard proof and the 1250 is the weight of the barrels in grams, this was proofed for lead the only non toxic to use should be Tin.

hope this helps Andy H

You could use Bismuth through it and if you wanted to you could use steel as long as you stick to normal steel as opposed to high performance steel. HP steel requires the fleur de lys mark.

Providing your chokes are less than half then normal steel in shot larger than a no. 4 will be fine.

Tin is possibly the worst non toxic ever made and I would be suprised if you could still buy it.

Yes you can use bismuth and you could also use steel like Express supreme steel 2 3/4" or Gamebore super steel. You could also use Express Hevi shot in the 2 3/4" versions.

You would need to have your chokes checked as they should be half or less to use steel

Edited by MC