WIND IT DOES MATTER

Graham20g

I went out with the deeks last weekend , and set 12 deeks in horseshoe pattern with 2 crow,s behind them@ around 25 yards facing into the wind. now this is where sod,s law rears its head after about 30 mins the wind started to shift. In the next 3 hours it hit every point of the compas and only when it was blowing into the faces of the deeks did the pigeons show any real interest.

But the corvids didnt seem to mind where the wind was they kept landing on their backs with their leg,s kicking im glad to say

I ended up with a tally of just 9 pigeon but my best result so far of black uns a enjoyable 17!!!

Now the big question did I do the right thing leaving the deeks out and not moving them ,as the wind was eddying back and forth i was tempted to move them but i remember one of you guys saying to stay put once in the hide unless you get a runner .

when the wind was off the pigeons wouldnt stray from their flight lines except for the odd one,but the crows kept me alert and happy.

Any advice or opinion on this would be welcome and help this old sponge soak up more knowledge

Thanks guys .G. :lol::lol:

As far as the variable wind is concerned all you have to do is watch which way the birds approach to land. They know much better than you! Then you`ll know which way your decoys should face. Birds are very adept at cheating the wind to get in so watch what they do as they land.

Pigeons will rarely fly over crow decoys to get into the pattern, so you ought to put them up wind of the pattern, so that the pigeons see them after they have seen the pigeon decoys.

If you have set up with your decoys facing into the wind and then the wind becomes variable, its best to stay put and wait to see if the wind settles down (which seems to be what you did).

Showing yourself from the hide should be avoided at all costs.

I will go out if the layout needs changing, or a shot bird lands upside down, or I have a wounded bird, but otherwise I try to stay put.

I'm glad you had some success, it all helps build the confidence. :lol:

try setting up right under the fight lines :lol: i bet the wood pigeon you did shoot was mainly this years pigeon you can all ways tell them there the ones with no white ring round there necks and white feet not pink ,and the crows was mainly jackdaws and this years young crow ,,am i right

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

I`ve only shot two immature pigeons over the past weeks. All the others were adults. Jackdaws are a bit daft and, as they shout `jack` as they come in are easily dealt with. They even hover over the decoys and present straight forward shots. Most of my crows have been adults, with just a few immatures. There are more immature rooks about though, and they `caw` a warning to help you out. (Very helpful went they approach from behind!!) I`ve been calling crows down from telephone wires over 400 yards away, but you must be patient.

All this decoying is made easier if you just WATCH THE BIRDIE.

Thank,s for the input lad,s

Mostly matre birds only one squab and one younge crow as for them being jack,s no ! only crow,s n rook,s. Next time I go out and the wind turns variable I will take your advice and set the deek,s out a little more haphazard.

Here,s a question for you how often do you recomend shooting from the same

hide position in a week?:lol:

Graham. :lol::lol: