Carrot Cake

lord_seagrave

Chaps (and, indeed, chapesses),

Yesterday I made carrot cake for the first time using HFW's recipe HERE - it was pretty poor. Very wet, even when given 15 minutes more than the recommended time. It was also really greasy.

Admittedly, my cake tin is 3cm smaller in diameter (20cm as opposed to 23cm) than the recommended one...

My carrots, when peeled and grated, yielded 376g. I did wonder whether this might have made a difference (perhaps I used bigger or less fibrous carrots than HFW), or whether I ought to have squeezed out some of the juice before adding them to the mix.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for carrot cake - ideally one with some actual weights and measures?

LS

Chaps (and, indeed, chapesses),

Yesterday I made carrot cake for the first time using HFW's recipe HERE - it was pretty poor. Very wet, even when given 15 minutes more than the recommended time. It was also really greasy.

Admittedly, my cake tin is 3cm smaller in diameter (20cm as opposed to 23cm) than the recommended one...

My carrots, when peeled and grated, yielded 376g. I did wonder whether this might have made a difference (perhaps I used bigger or less fibrous carrots than HFW), or whether I ought to have squeezed out some of the juice before adding them to the mix.

Does anyone have a tried and tested recipe for carrot cake - ideally one with some actual weights and measures?

LS

I find the BBC good food site good for most things, try this.

Good food

Hi, I am a new member to PW but my job is a Chef Lecturer

Tried and tested Carrot cake with an almond bite.

Ingredients

350g of finely grated carrots

5 medium eggs

300g caster sugar

225g grated almond

115g self raising flour

zest from 1 lemon

Icing ugar to dust

8 inch round or 6 inch square cae tin

Method

Pre-heat you oven to 190c

or if a fan assisted oven, to 180c

Then

Finely grate the carrot. If there is much liquid in the carrot, squeeze out excess and set aside.

Seperate the eggs to whites and yolks. [it is vital that the whits do not have any yolk. If the yolk breaks, start again.

In a bowl, add the egg yolks, caster sugar and lemon zest and whik until it reaches a sabyon state, (that is when the mixture has doubled in voluum and is the consistency of double cream and pale in appearance.

Sift the flour, add the flour, almonds and grated carrot to the eggs and mix in until evenly combined.

In a spotlessly clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they for a full stiff peak.

Using a spatula or wooden spoon, mix in half the egg whites.

Then carefully fold in the remaining whites.

IT IS VITAL THA YOU DO NOT MIX BECAUSE YOU NEED THE AIR IN THE WHITES TO AID RISING CONSISTENCY. IF YOU MIX HARD, THE CAKE WILL BE HARD AND CONSISENCY POOR AND WET.

Prepare the cake tin by lining with aking parchment or use non-stick tin

if using a in without linig, lightly butter line the sides and base. Again you must make sure that you do not over do this as if you do, you will put excess fat into the cake.

Carefully spoon the mixture into the cake tin.

To aid flatness of bake, partly hollw centre to outside (form the mix to concave shape]

Bake for about 1 1/4 hours in the centre of the oven.

It is important to check the cake at about an hour by sticking a skewer through the centre. If it comes out clean without any sticking, the cake is done.

Turn out onto cooling wire rack and allow to cool.

Dust with icing sugar and serve

As long as you mix the egg to sabyon and you fold in the egg white, it should work.

Remember that baking is a science, weights neeed to be exact, and methods need to be practiced.

Eggs can cause a problem, voluums of liquid varies by size so use only medium size.

Good luck

Edited by chefdon50