Moderated 12g

Reload

Hi all,

I'm looking for a moderated 12g for vermin control in sensitive areas. It can be an auto or pump. Anyone have any experience with, or recommendations of moderated guns?

I quite like the look of the Mossberg pump. Do any owners want to pass comment on theirs?

I have used them as my main gun for 3 years (since starting with shotguns). Never used the multi shot Hushpower such as a pump or semi but have a Pedretti 12g s/b. Had a Baikal one for a while and I guess it would be the same length and maybe lighter than the Mossy. I do walked up shooting for rabbit and crow mainly and find the Ped a great tool. It does the job extremely well and the one shot makes me very careful not to miss. I always use subsonics,ie Eley 6 and think they are about half as loud as a normal shotgun. The moderator took a bit of getting used to as it obscures the sight picture .

I think my main point would be that the Baikal s/b 12g Hushpower is a pretty enormous gun to lug around.I guess the Mossberg etc would be the same. I am biggish build but a few weeks of using it was enough plus the fact it is hard to get a gun slip to fit.

My Pedretti is about 6.5lb and goes in any gunslip. The gun itself is a cheapy but its the moderator that makes it useful to me for the usual reasons.You can get a 20g o/u now which is normal length.

20b is your best bet, either the investarm O/U, which is very quiet, but fairly heavy, ideal for hide shooting, or the mossberg pump if you are going to be walking about.

Saddlery and gunroom had Gamebore make up a 20b subsonic game cartridge called ''Hushpower'' they are 28g of shot size #5 and work extremely well :blush: Your nearest Gamebore dealer can order them for you, but, they will need to mention that they were produced for Saddlery and gunroom as they are not advertised.

For you information; Saddlery and gunroom have given their permission to allow any Gamebore dealers to purchase them.

The mossberg .410 pump is a good tool too :ninja:

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

Chris

Edited by chrispti

Ive the mossberg .410 pump action and love it. Its light, no recoil, very quiet, 3shots, can take 3inch magnum cartridges and packs a punch. Ive carried it around fields for hours no problem. Only downside is that because its a pump action, with the moderator on the end, its quite a long gun. It also has a full choke, so you have to be fairly accurate, and .410 cartridges arnt the cheapest in the world. Apart from that, its a very solid, well made gun. Looks like it could take years of abuse and still work without missing a beat.

Thanks for your thoughts fella's. :good:

Jackinbox, what is the kill range of your .410 using 3in magnums? Are they subsonic?

I read that a .410 is only good for 30yards. (I am a relative newbie to shooting.)

Even a 12g is only good for that kind of range too,plus a bit more in the right hands.