First Time Shooter

amouzoures

Hi

As it was my first time on saturday with three of my collegue i was very nervous about the weather, it was not going to be good very, very misted and then it started to rain. Anyway we all arrived at the farm met the farmer he showed us around where to shoot etc etc. I actually told the farmer that this is not a good day to shoot anyway he insisted that its a good day because its misty and pigeon cannot easily see you. Anyway we went to our hide out i layed my decoys as described by your readers, and between the three of us from 9.00 am to 14.00 pm we shot 5 pigeons then the heavens opened, i was quiet happy i shot 3 of them but for the money that we payed well £180 between the 3 of us not a good day.

Anyway what i would like to know if it is a day like we had dont you think the farmer should have had the decency to say chaps look not a good day and here is your money back. If it was my farm i would have felt very guilty about it and returned the money back.

Oh well never mind we learn by mistakes. Anyway i want to say a very happy X-MAS and NEW YEAR to you all.

I shot driven game on Saturday and it was certainly between foggy and very misty where we were.

The woodland was full of pigeons sitting in the trees, which is where I would expect to find them on such a day.

They don,t like flying around in the fog or mist.

I think the farmer was wrong to suggest it was ideal weather.

Wether you should have had a full, or part, refund of your fee, depends on your "agreement" with the farmer.

It must be important to have some "agreement", before you part with your money.

It is impossible for anyone to guarantee you good pigeon shooting, but the better guides probably try harder.

I get the impression that this farmer didn,t try at all.

£180 between three of you, suggest £60 each for a days pigeon shooting.

I have never paid for pigeon shooting by the day, so I am not sure of the rates.

But, elsewhere on this Forum, it has been suggested that you can have a good day, for a lot less than you paid.

I think this is a case of "once bitten, twice shy".

Don,t go back there and next time book a day with a reputable guide.

I think Cranfield is correct in  saying you should agree the terms with the farmer before you shoot

He should have some sort of deal that if the birds do not appear then you pay a reduced rate but on the other hand if you have an exceptional day then you should be prepared to pay a bit extra.

But we all make mistakes and learn hard lessons by them so Just put it down to good experience

I once read that if shooting is advertised on a regular basis then it is usually not worth the money as good shoots are usually  fully booked by word of mouth. and good land is snapped up before it comes onto the market :)  :C

:) Sorry you had a bad day for your money.Saturday was not a good day to be pigeon shooting in my part of the country.Little wind.damp misty conditions etc.The only reason we ventured out was to take our favourite farmer his X/mas bottle and when we looked around the fields we saw lots of pigeons in trees but none flying around and feeding.We didn,t bother setting up and went home but in the knowledge that the bottle of Scotch was for the good days previously and hopefully to come and not for a wasted journey.Would have been well cheesed off had I been in your position and hope it is a case of "once bitten, twice shy". Best of luck in the future and try and get a bit of land to shoot where the farmer is glad to have your help and not just after your money. :)