am i being thick ???

taxidermy dave

You are certainly not being thick. It's an interesting question.

I think of woodpigeon as being pests but would never classify them as vermin. In fact, if it were not for the fact that regarding them as game birds would mean that we only had a 6-week season for them, I would be happy to see them classified as such.

Rabbits also - I would classify as pests but not as vermin. Grey squirrels and rats I would classify as vermin.

Foxes, stoats and weasels? I wouldn't classify them as anything based on what they are - just on what they were doing. They are really attractive wild animals that no sane person would want to see eradicated from the countryside (unlike grey squirrels) but where they exist in such numbers that they cause serious problems, then I guess they become pests rather than vermin. But maybe the urban foxes that raid dustbins in towns and cities are beginning to meet the vermin tag.

Anti-fieldsports loonies, hunt saboteurs, politicians of all colours, boy racers, litter louts and morons who shoot at out-of-range geese - that's when you start talking real vermin!

There you are Dave, from the dictionary on my computer.

PEST[/b

noun

a destructive insect or other animal that attacks crops, food, livestock, etc.

• informal an annoying person or thing; a nuisance.

VERMIN

noun

wild mammals and birds that are believed to be harmful to crops, farm animals, or game, or that carry disease, e.g., foxes, rodents, and insect pests.

• parasitic worms or insects.

• figurative people perceived as despicable and as causing problems for the rest of society : the vermin who ransacked her house.

Which also neatly covers Pinkfooty's last sentence!