Shotgun, what's the deal nowadays ?

rodp

Years ago I had a SGC. It was simple, I got the form and filled it in, a local retired police Chief inspector counter signed it and hey presto the certificate came through in a few days. If I remember correctly when I bought a gun I just showed the cert, paid the money and kept the shotgun up a corner in my bedroom.

I take it things may have altered slightly now :yes: Can anyone fill me in please (not literally) :P

Rod

Sadly, very different to the way you have described the 'good old days'

You need the form, filled out with countersigned pictures. The one who signs it needs to be an MP, company director, priest etc, 'someone of high moral standing' (I had a doctor do mine)

This needs to be sent away and you need to buy and install a gun safe, one which holds 5ish guns is around the £100-150 mark depending on where you look. This has to be rawl bolted to an external wall somewhere out of sight of 'casual callers'

THEN.... a copper comes round, checks your not a nutter and know the stock from the barrels, and also that the safe is secured properly. After a few weeks your ticket should drop through the post!

Each gun you buy is written on to the ticket and you have to inform the rozzers that you have got this gun and let them know serial numbers and descriptions etc..

Its a long and frustrating process, especially if you have alredy brought a gun and waiting to pick it up once you have the ticket!

Get form from local police force internet site, fill in form with necessary counter signatures, obtain 4 passport photo's and sign as required, send in, buy and install police approved cabinet via an approved method, recieve a visit from local firearms inspection/enquiries officer to check you've installed said cabinet via said method and that you're not a raving loony, hey presto you should recieve you cert in 2 weeks to 6 months depending on force :yes:

Thanks everyone for the swift respose. It has altered somewhat then ! And I used to moan about the warden over the local common getting irate when blasting bunnies at 10 o clock at night.

So how do I get one put on the cert, do I buy it, leave it with the previous owner and take a copy of the number to the police who then enter it on the cert, then collect the gun?

Had a look at some safes today but not impressed with the sizes, if I have to have one I may as well keep all the guns in it so, looking to the future, reckon something like a 10 gun safe. All Bratton sound make is something that looks like a clothes locker that's supposed to hold 9. I was thinking of filling an alcove with one inside a built in wardrobe but it will need to be app 4 ft across. The other option is make one, anyone got a copy of the BS standard ?

Banjobill, something upset you mate ?

Rod

Guest rimotu66
Thanks everyone for the swift respose. It has altered somewhat then ! And I used to moan about the warden over the local common getting irate when blasting bunnies at 10 o clock at night.

So how do I get one put on the cert, do I buy it, leave it with the previous owner and take a copy of the number to the police who then enter it on the cert, then collect the gun?

Rod

Rod, there is a section on the licence that you fill in your new gun details , you then send off a letter (registered and within 7 days is best) to your police firearms dept giving them all the details. Most forces have a down loadable form just for this , if yours dosnt have a look at Lincolnshires and use theres but delete the force name.

Hope this helps.

Jon.

BB , another thread is needed for your problem dont you think?

With the Humberside police (too lazy to scrap "Humbersde", even though it doesn't exist anymore!!), you can just notify them by email, far less hassle than having to pop down the post office, queue for half an hour and send somthing recorded delivery! It also means you can keep a copy in your sent items just incase.