1. 1. What's your preferred gundog?

• German Pointer
    • English Pointer
    • Red Setter
    • Springer Spanial
    • Labradore
    • Weimaraner
    • Other (Cross Breed)

I'm considering getting a gundog & having it ready for next years shooting season.

I had a spanial up to now but find that by times when they get on a scent the're gone. Maybe it's just down to bad training on my behalf, but I'd be interested in finding out everyone elses opinion.

The best gundog in my opinion is the one thats trained properly . You can have the work horse spanial , a long line of FTc's in it's breeding . If the training is "poor" then all the fantastic linage ain't worth squat .

Just my opinion , there'll be a few fella's along later that know far more about the job .

all the best yis yp :yp:

I am with YP, my lab bitch has a line of FTCH as long as my arm, however she will only be as good as I (with help from NTTF) can help her to be. I went for good lines as my belief is as a starting point it helps no end, but as another guy said on here the dog makes the papers and not the other way round. It also depends on what you want from the dog mine is for wildfowling a job that labs do extremely well, I wound not want to chance a cocker in the river with a goose in January...

not that I shoot many! :yp:

pavman

HPR's are underated but can be ******* to train.

Spaniels and labs are highly trainable with the lab a tad more versatile on water (springers feel the cold more).

Saying that for all round hunting and retrieving (anything smaller than a Greylag) I'd plump for a springer.

..Saying that Munsterlanders are nice dogs.

I have been doing alot of research latley into this subject, as i am soon to be buying my first gundog.

After reading hundreds of articles and many posts on here, i have come to the conclusion that the HPR breeds are definatley the best alrounders.

My personal favorite is the GSP and i am 97% sure i will be getting a GSP pup as i have considered all breeds feasible as gundogs.

HG

:yp:

Edited by Hunter Gatherer