vintage 12g underlever

masmiffy

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have in my cabinet a 12g underlever hammer gun by G Newnham.

From the www it seems they were in existance from 1867 - 1938

It was given to me by my dad and sits unused!

It originally had damascus barrels but he had it 'sleeved' some years back by Elderkins of Spalding.

Unsure of its age or origin but the original rib was reused and has the following address

G Mewnham Commercial Road Landport Portsmouth on it.

It is in proof and is stamped .729 bnp 21/2 cham 3 t p sq" sleeved.

It shoots OK has approx 30" barrels [not measured them]

The gun is in great condition and would be one for a collector [if only I had the original barrels as well!]

May think of selling it to raise cash for a new gun for myself but have no idea of value can anyone advise?

Will get some pics asap!

Thanks in advance

A quick bit of background. Newnhams of Portsmouth did not have the facilities to actually manufacture their own guns, they accessed all their stock from the Birmingham gun trade and simply had their name applied to it. They sold guns right across the quality scale from cheap trade guns to best quality sidelocks and across the entire range of bore sizes.

Without seeing your gun it is impossible to give an opinion as to its origins but I`ve seen guns bearing their name which were patently made by a back street assembler of cheap parts to those made by Westley Richards, Tolley and other quality makers.

They were actually still trading strongly up to 1941 when their premises were destroyed by the Luftwaffe.

Hope yours is a good `un.