fox calling

X LeErOy X

been rabbit shooting 5-6 times on a new shoot. during the night we have spoted a few foxes about chasing rabbits about so we decided to try fox calling with no succes . is there any one that could give me any advice how to go about it/ calling how long for? how loud? what time at night would you head out? any advice would be great thanks lee

if their is to much food,then calling can be a waste of time..you need to rethink and if you have no or little experience,then learn about the fox or get someone with experience to help/guide or show you the ropes.

calling is not the the be all for foxes and if you are spotting the foxes,then you are about at the right time.just a case of stopping them for a good clear safe shot.shouting stop or barking like a dog can attract their attention long enough for a shot.

many ways of calling,try youtube for ideas.

need more info on gun you use and any experience you have to give a more informed answer.

al

Edited by albob

When I do it, I sort of suck the palm of my hand to make a squeeking sound, and I only do it if I see a fox. I have tried it without spotting foxes with hardly any joy. They only come if there is a shortage of food. I normally keep going until the fox is in shotgun range, and as they get closer, I get quieter. Good luck :angry:

Start off with a quiet mouse squeak, just a few seconds then have a shine around, try the mouse again a bit longer this time, and another shine around, theres no need to do anything quick so a pause of a few seconds between calling and shining is no problem, any fox in the immediate area will (should) respond to this, no foxes then go for a rabbit squeal, try a quiet one first and have a shine, then again quietly to start with getting a little louder but always in a dieing sort of fashion to the end, have another shine around, repeat with varying loudness, intervals and shinings.

Shining a lamp, use a filter or low powered lamp ( you don't need or want 1 million candle powers) and quickly scan the field, if theres a fox the eyes will light up like headlamps, don't hold the lamp on the fox just pass it by and note it's position, if it's too far call more but not loudly (unless it's windy), now prepare yourself and your rifle and scan again keep the foxes eyes in the outer edges of the lamp give the fox enough light to confirm it's a fox, check the back stops, settle the cross hairs somewhere near, light it up correct yourself and bang!!!

Remember foxes have brill hearing and sight, so over powering a call will make it weary, blinding it in the light will make it turn and walk, shooting and missing will make it lamp shy.

If a fox turns and walks just shout at him he will most likely stop for a second or two, giving you a chance

Best of luck

Hi there should be a few tips in the Sporting Rifle magazine in this March issue it should be in the shops by 20th of feb.

I shoot in Somerset and not all foxes respond in the same way.Alot of shooters over call a fox giving a massive loud call to start.Try and work the squeak lower first small mouse type squeaks work well on open moor ground. Hilly ground somtimes requires more effort. You should spot the fox start to behave different in your red filtered beam. Red light always works best for us. Dont hold the beam right on the fox untill its time to squeeze the trigger. If the fox heads towards you make sure you make the calles more distant not louder.Also check wind direction before you enter the field with charlie.Do not use freshly washed shooting clothes. Some foxes will try to wind you they will try to get down wind to smell you.Deer do this aswell once they hit your scent they normaly take flight.

Hope this helps good luck with the foxes.