Something different

Big Dog

I'm still just working out the best way for me to post pictures. Just to be different,

I am a member of the Irish Woodturners Guild. The box shown here in the link was one I made at a 2 hrs work shop last week.

The wood is spalted beech. Beech is a very blann wood but when left outside for a while after felling the early stages of roting send fungi spores through the wood (spalt) If left to long the wood doses and is usless, but if you get it b4 its to late, then you have a treat to make small item with that are just beautiful.

Warning:

As the spalt is from a fungi spore care must be taken when working the wood as it can cause all kinds of respitory and cacinagenitc problems.

It has a friction lid that snaps of and on, nice. Most of my work comes from fallen timbers and stuff people leave out for fire wood. When you turn something nice out of fire wood you get a creat reaction from people. If you screw it up, well you are left with fancy fire wood which is a great topic when guest are sitting arould the fire. :thumbs:

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/1068/box5im.jpg

Jon-Boy

Nice box.

The wood in mine is beech but the markings are called "Spalthing". If you have ever seen falling timber with a large mushroom thing sticking out of it, this will be doing the spalthing, sending its spores through the wood. The starting of the wood rot.