Cocker running away!

woodystock

Hi there,

I have a 10 month old pup who has been doing basic training since 7 month. She is coming on well, but we have some issues - in that every now and again she does a runner. Yesterday we lost her for a good 45 mins whilst she was merrily running through a forest. We've been told to come down hard on her, catch her and punish her when she does it. We are first time handlers and would like some of your valuable advice. Someone has told us that it is a cocker trait. Any tips for trying to stop this and keep her close?

l totally agree with you all but only if it was that simple!! First of all we never scold her when she comes back- even if she does not respond first time, and comes back when the hell she likes!! l agree that would certainly not help by punishing her, we only punish her when we can actually catch her in the act so to speak. Secondly the long lead works fine with her- she is **** hot when she is on it, 100 percent all the time at coming back in, she is a different dog off the lead though! And hiding away from her does not work unfortunately- infact l think she probably wishes we stayed in the house so she could do what she likes!!!

I know the problem will be us not the dog, first time handlers were gonna make some MASSIVE mistakes, l know my next one will be better!

And we were in a wide open space- a big crop field- and she actually ran about 300yards into the wood- head down **** up- and there was nothing we could do about it.

WE were getting on great with her down the lane next to where we live, recall, quartering, sitting all to the whistle but this day she knew better.

so l will take your advice to go back to basic training on the lead, and run over all those commands again, and try n be a little more patient- this must happen to everyone once in a while right?:yes: right?? god l hope so!!!!!!!!!!

cheers

chris n ella :good:

do you know of any local trainers?

it might be worth your while to seek a little professional advice.i was having some lesson's last year i think an hour's 1 on 1 was about £20,well worth the money :yes:

and yes we all have problems,at the moment my labs running in from the peg.she's great with the dummy launcher and the sarter pistol but when i have a gun out she's all wound up.

I would be tempted to try working the pup in a smallish field that is fenced off with pig wire, if you have some thing like that available. If she is 100% on the long lead she knows what is expected of her so she is having you on. Hunt her up off the lead making sure she obeys every command quickly and if she breaks you can chase her and catch her against the fence if necessary, take her back to where the crime was committed and punish there. Do not let the pup get away with this under any circumstances.

IMO the wheels are coming off because you've maybe pushed on a bit too fast... I only know cause I've been there!

Get her back on the lead and if you remember nothing else remember the expression "manage the environment".

You cannot set a dog like this, at this stage, up to fail or it will - every time.

Do some boring basics in the garden, then out and about building in a few distractions. Get her attention on you, if she retrieves keenly dummies or tennis balls are excellent for getting the dogs attention - it is also good to get spaniels keen on retrieving before they get hunt crazed. When hunting her give her only two or three yards before recalling her... that way you can get to her and correct her if she ignores you. With many dogs, especially cockers, you will only need to move quickly towards her to get her to stop what she's doing... when she does, you need to nothing else other than change your body language and tone from very angry to very nice and happy and do it VERY quickly. Timing is everything. Build her confidence in you by hunting her through a small piece if cover, then throw an unseen tennis ball in and send her back in for the "find".

The hardest bit will be no free hunting and no "walks" - every walk will need to a session with some training built in until she gets to know right from wrong and also be aware that this will take hard work, patience, will never be a completely instilled and from where you are just now will take months.

I also agree that a couple of sessions with a pro or experienced trainer would be invaluable to give you an insight into the basics.

Good luck :good: