Best lamp for fox control

2-dead-in-the-air

Im in need of a scope mount lamp for my .222 would the lightforce 170 variable be the best option. Can it be used as a hand held lamp then clipped onto the rifle ?

Ive also bought a Lithium Ion 7amp 12 volt battery with charger on the web for £ 75.00 new , im just waiting for the correct cables to come via the post if alls good I will post the web address. The battery`s are £75.00 each on there own and the charger is free on a special deal.

i use a 170 scope mounted lightforce with DIMMER on my cz 22lr and .17hmr and can use it handheld or fit it to the scope,when i need it or all the time.

used it for mate on foxes as handheld and him with his 223 and 243 with no problems at all.only thing to watch is the wiring but,once sorted it will give no problems after that.so be aware as using handheld,the wiring does cause problems and if unnoticed,can cost a dimmer switch,as it will burn it out.

get the amber filter for later use for foxes,quite a good filter for foxes and does not reduce the light by much to be noticed.

al

ps,the lithium battery?i ordered a 10amp one from the bay,it was faulty(waiting for replacement) and never got to try it.is yours one of these or can you give us a link,thanks

Edited by albob

The supplier for the battery and charger is `The Battery Masters`, be-ware the charger does not have connectors to fit onto battery,also battery does not have spade terminals. You basically have to sort out your own connection what a joke, I had a running battle on the phone they cant seem to get the drift that if they are supplying a charger it should come with connections for the battery it comes with ...............

:rolleyes: mine came with all fittings(no charger) and i soon had the fixings supplied fitted and they are not the spade type but,good solid type.

that was off the bay too and i did look at the one you dealt with but,i could not ressist the price on this battery.

they do cheap batteries,so if i was after a battery,i think they are reasonable and maplins etc sell all manor of fittings.

find it strange that they never supplied fittings for the battery that the charger was meant for.

al

Edited by albob

pictures for 2-dead-in-the-air..

pic 1 shows the wire coming from the lamp head,note the 2 core mains wire used.

pic 2 shows the wire from the deben switch,which is not the same as yours,as mine is not the original wiring,as it is a replacement dimmer which has the better wiring and sold seperately but you can see the join for this.

pic 3 as you can see their is something on the rim of the lamp which i forget to mention sorry..if you have the lamp on the gun with filter you get splashback of light,which then lights you up because of the clips on the filter,try it and see..so i use a car innertube that fits over the filter and rim and then covers the edge of the filter and the CLIPS,as the clips give quite a bit of splashback if not covered.

pic 4 hows the clips fully covered.

pic 5 shows the 17amp battery with cigar fitting and the connections which came with it,i bought the cigar fitting from maplins and the wiring was from an old deben wiring.

the cable tie is so that the cigar fitting and wire is not able to be pulled free or put undue stress on it.

hope that helps.

al

1)

post-20006-1265308068.jpg

2)

post-20006-1265308080.jpg

3)

post-20006-1265308091.jpg

4)

post-20006-1265308104.jpg

5)

post-20006-1265308115.jpg

Edited by albob

Hi the car inner tube is a good idea, for years I have been taping mine up with black ins tape.

I dont see a fuse on your wiring, must say all my batts have a quick blow fuse, never had one go, but then it would save the bulb I,m told if there was a problem.

Flare back from the lamp through the scope has always been a problem I dont think anyone has come up with a foolproof way around that yet, we try to have the lamp an arms length away from the scope.

Cheers Rob.

hi rob,

i took my lamp round loads of tyre fitters and it took quite a while to get an innertube,as most are now tubeless

the male cigar fitting has a fuse inside it ,which was part of the replacement dimmer i bought,so it is protected correctly.

someone made a suggestion to help stop flareback and that was to get a plastic plant pot,cut the base off and fit the wide part to the lamp.obviously the widest part has to cover your lamp lense,so a suitable size is required and i`m afraid you need to tape it on(no,do not take you gun into the garden centre to try them :rolleyes: ).

another tip was to put a strip of tape over the last quarter of the scope(object end?).no idea if this works,as i have not had this problem,you could try slightly higher scope mounts. :rolleyes:

al

post-20006-1265377022.jpg

Edited by albob

Flare back from the lamp through the scope has always been a problem I dont think anyone has come up with a foolproof way around that yet, we try to have the lamp an arms length away from the scope.

Cheers Rob.

regarding the above?

is this handheld or scope mounted?

if handheld,keep the shooter behind the lamp and obviously to the left or right of lampman.if you mean scope mounted,try the suggestions in previous post. #17

al

Edited by albob

I dont see a fuse on your wiring, must say all my batts have a quick blow fuse, never had one go, but then it would save the bulb I,m told if there was a problem.

Cheers Rob.

have to say mine were always blowing the fuses but since having a paddy and cutting the lighter attachment off and hard wiring them to my truck I've not blown a bulb. If I do its not the end of the world but must have been like this for a year so far.

regarding the above?

if handheld,keep the shooter behind the lamp and obviously to the left or right of lampman.if you mean scope mounted,try the suggestions in previous post. #17

al

Scope mounted, the lamp reflects on the T4 mod.

I have tried tape over the lower half of the lamp and the flowerpot idea, but it didn,t work for me and was too bulky imo.

Had some success with a black wooly sock over the back of the mod and the barrel poking through, odd but its the best yet.

Cheers Rob

name='albob' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:47 PM' post='977906']

regarding the above?

al

I have tried tape over the lower half of the lamp and the flowerpot idea, but it didn,t work for me and was too bulky imo.

Had some success with a black wooly sock over the back of the mod and the barrel poking through, odd but its the best yet.

Cheers Rob

do you have a sunshade?,,that helps,also a piece of plastic used as a sunshade can do the same.experiment with the length of plastic.

al

Edited by albob

name='albob' date='Feb 5 2010, 01:47 PM' post='977906']

regarding the above?

al

Cheers Rob

do you have a sunshade?,,that helps,also a piece of plastic used as a sunshade can do the same.experiment with the length of plastic.

al

Yep have sunshade, tried most suggestions as they tend to come up on forums regularly, this problem has been ongoing for years.

The only real solution, when alone, is to do as Robert Bucknell does and have the lamp next to you on a stick/tripod.

Rgds Rob.