a question for the heating experts..

pegasus bridge

i'm hoping someone on here can help me out with this ; i have a combi boiler (worcester 28 cdi) in an old airing cupboard in the spare room.. i have got another baby on the way and i am not sure what to do about it. my inital thought was to move it out of the room - the only other places that it could go to is 1) the loft - with a lot of work / extra cost) or 2) an outside 'cupboard' - (its brick and part of the house) - a neighbour a few doors down has one in this place.

anyway - i have had a plumber out who said basically i might as well leave it where it is -for various reasons - 1) the cost of going into the loft, due to having the hatch made bigger, boarded and then fixing the flue out through the roof. and 2) my boiler is old and they dont sell flue kits for it anymore??

i was surprised at the last point - it was new 7 years ago? is this old for a boiler? it gets serviced every year by british gas.

anyway ; my issue with leaving it in situ is the noise and risk.. (i already have a carbon monoxide detector in the room with it) ; can i leave it in place and insulate the cupboard its in to reduce the noise? if i did this - would i be able to make the cupboard 'airtight' (or as near to it?) -or does the boiler need to take air in from the room to work? are there any other reasons i shouldnt leave it in the room?

thanks in advance for the advice gents :blink:

Ventilation for a room sealed boiler if required is for cooling of the appliance not to aid combustion as the air for this is taken from outside via the flue. I wouldn't worry too much about the safety aspect if it's regularly serviced just make sure the carbon monoxide detector is working at all times. As for the noise I don't think the CDI range are a particularly noisy boiler maybe the pump or fan is the cause of any undue noise?

Attached manual, may help you to decide? :blink:

cheers

Ventilation for a room sealed boiler if required is for cooling of the appliance not to aid combustion as the air for this is taken from outside via the flue. I wouldn't worry too much about the safety aspect if it's regularly serviced just make sure the carbon monoxide detector is working at all times. As for the noise I don't think the CDI range are a particularly noisy boiler maybe the pump or fan is the cause of any undue noise?

its not too noisy at all - just a gentle hum when its on -

thanks for the replies gents- much appreciated.