pheasant

Hi, i know nothing about rearing/keeping. could you explain the significance of/reason for this?

Its to stop them from feather peaking and egg eating. The band on its wing is to stop it from flying.

Why it has it on still though at this time of year is a mystery and as poster said it did very well to last the season considering it probably couldnt roost.

Edited by BFG

Hi, i know nothing about rearing/keeping. could you explain the significance of/reason for this?

the thing on its beak is to stop it pullin its feathers out wen its penned up and the band stops it flyin so it cant get out the rearin pen!!! (I THINK) feel free to correct me anyone!!!

theres no bone exposed on the wing..

I couldn't make it out that's all cheers. I'm not against rearing and shooting pheasants obviously just aware that we must be super careful about animal welfare with all the antis etc. Don't want to cause any agro but you can't be to careful !

on the shoot yesterday one of the dogs picke this pheasant..it had a bit in its beak and a band on its wing..it did well to last all season i think!!!

mud127.jpgmud128.jpg

The bit on his face is actually what is called a spek, to stop the hens eating eggs whilst in laying pens, and the band is a brail to stop the bird flying, all i can think of is, the bird must of escaped for a gamefarm somewhere,

hope this solves your mystery.