pivot, ie. return to zero scope mounts

dieseldogg

Since I cannot get clearance below the obj bell to swop barrells on the Sako Quad,

without either (i) mounting the scope very high OR (ii) removing it.

As a solution I have been told Apel pivot? (is that the term) QD? mounts will work.

At the £200.00 odd I bin quoted they would bloody need to.

Any thoughts?

cheers

M

leupold do QR mounts...

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetai...W1p&cat=126

only problem is they're weaver (which is inherently locatable) and the Quad is dovetail isn't it?

actually add this and it might work...

http://www.opticswarehouse.co.uk/proddetai...21S&cat=126

Edited by nickbeardo

I think you could get others for a lot less than that! It's a good idea though rather than mounting the scope high.

You're right about the scopes. If you can't afford a really good make it's best not to look through them. I have a S&B on my Deer rifle and every time I use one of my other guns I wish I could afford one for them too! :oops:

If I recall correctly it was the absolutly full "sight picture" which seemed to fill the entire eyebell. Instantly.

With the S&B.................Which I DO NOT NEED

With most / all of the other scopes I had to shuggle my head around to percisely line up my eye to get a clear view.

Though as most of them were not mounted to a dummy rifle, it was perhaps an unfair comparison

( And Baldrick take it easy I did NOT try a Zeiss, so I am not besmircking their optics )

This was all inside a well lit gun room at about 15 m, it may have been different outside in natural light, but I was double locked in.

The S&B was sittin in a rack of Nikkor Stirlings, I thought it was therefore a Nikkor when I lifted it, and thought WOW when i looked through. Sigh........... that would have been quite a bargain.

Since I cannot get clearance below the obj bell to swop barrells on the Sako Quad,

without either (i) mounting the scope very high OR (ii) removing it.

As a solution I have been told Apel pivot? (is that the term) QD? mounts will work.

At the £200.00 odd I bin quoted they would bloody need to.

Any thoughts?

cheers

M

The Apel mounts leave about 2-3 mm between the 8x56 scope and the barrel, before it starts to taper, on my FN Sauer 270.

They are nearly 30 years old, so modern ones might have different dimensions.

Steyr do some mounts that completely detach from the dovetail very quickly. Don't know if they would fit your rifle.

They weren't hight enough for an 8X56 scope on my SSG.

http://www.steyrarms.com/store/index.php/s...mount-30mm.html

Edited by rjimmer