barrel length

catfisher

I have just started clay shooting and i bought a gun with 30 inch barrels i used it and was doing ok,then it developed a problem so i returned it to dealer they gave me a replacement which i never noticed had 28 inch barrels and i couldn,t hit jack,would this be the difference in barrel length.

I have just started clay shooting and i bought a gun with 30 inch barrels i used it and was doing ok,then it developed a problem so i returned it to dealer they gave me a replacement which i never noticed had 28 inch barrels and i couldn,t hit jack,would this be the difference in barrel length.

It might be - there is a balance/inertia issue now that you didn't have with the 30" barrelled gun, although it is only the loss of 2" of extra steel on the end of your gun the effect is magnified because it is quite a distant from the pivot point.

Does the 28" gun feel like it swings faster to the target - feels less natural than the previous one?

In my experience barrel length makes no difference. It all depends upon what you are used to. 30" barrels will normally be heavier than the same gun in 28" barrels. This may make it smoother to swing, but may be slower for you. Personally for sporting i prefer shorter barrels, and have had excellent results with 26" and 28" barrels. Ive got 30" barrelled semi & an o/u and whilst i still use them on the clays, i find im reaching for the shorter barrelled guns more often atm.