Lofting hooks

MC

Evening Guys,

I have been tinkering this afternoon and have made 6 lofting hooks. The part I haven't made yet is the fitting for the decoy. Has anyone got one they can take a close up picture of so I can see how they work?

I haven't got any full body decoys yet so I can't improvise

Cheers

MC

From the pictures I have seen they look like a short pin that pushes in the bottom of the decoy.

I have the poles etc just need to sort out how they attach

That is bassically what they do

You have probably seen these pics already

G20hook.jpg

LP-LHSR.jpg

pigandghookdeal.jpg

I made some for a friend a while back and all I did was weld a short spike (2-3 inches long) on the top of the hook and I then got a bit of garden cane which is the right size to fit inside the hole at the bottom of the decoy and slotted it over the spike and this worked well and my mate is still using them now.

That was sort of my plan,

I had initially thought of tacking a piece of threaded rod on the top so the decoy screws on to the hook.

I suppose I had better get some decoys sorted and make the pins to suit.

Cheers

Martin

I did think about doing that aswell but I just found the bit of cane an easier idea lol

You just need to make sure the decoy is a tight fit so when you are trying to get the decoys lofted it does not fall off the hook, we used to rely on the tail of the decoy to rest on a branch but we found the pole would fall down and leave the decoy up the tree with no way of getting it down lol.

Good luck anyway and post some pics of them once you have finnished them :good:

Made mine similar to those above but,made out of wire bucket handles and work well.

2 handles required;

cut hooks off

bend one straight and fasten a weight to lower end 3" from bottom

cut 2nd in half,bend a hook at one end

tape this to 1st handle leaving enough above to pass right through solid decoy,about 6"

used sectional tent poles from scrap yard,one has top of plastic coke bottle taped to it to enable easeir retrival :good:

I have a set of gazebo poles to put them up or get them down. One has a funnel on the end of it to get them down.

I have bent the hooks as most of the pictures show, the weight is an empty cartridge case filled with lead shot and sealed and bonded to the pole by pouring epoxy resin in the top.

They will either work or end up in a skip.