Like a dog with two................

ads03ads

Well they've only gone and done it!!!

Got my variation back for my first centre fire in .223. To say I'm chuffed would be an understatment, only had my F A C for around 8 months. I must say how good the team at sussex head quarters have been, they said there might be a delay as its a very busy time and it came within 2 weeks top work guys!!!

So I guess I better get shopping any recommendations for rifles, sound mods and ammunition?

Cheers in advance Ads

Well done ads. I always had a centerfire on my license but with a mentor. Once the mentor signed me off mid last year, it was a great feeling.

Budget wise, if you are looking for a rifle below £500, a CZ is a great rifle. If you can go up to £600-750 mark, then a Tikka would last you a lifetime.

Like Les said, get on Guntrader. My other advice is dont rush, take a few extra days looking around, and go visit shops to see exactly what you want :good:

BB

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, I guess I,m looking to spend around £600-£700, but for the right gun would probally spend a bit more!!!!

Any advice on what mod to go for?

Going to see a nearly new Sako on friday only fired around 40 rounds and has been locked up ever since!

Cheers gents I'll let ya know how I get on

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, I guess I,m looking to spend around £600-£700, but for the right gun would probally spend a bit more!!!!

Any advice on what mod to go for?

Going to see a nearly new Sako on friday only fired around 40 rounds and has been locked up ever since!

Cheers gents I'll let ya know how I get on

Get a CZ, slap a mod on it and spend the rest on a good scope :rolleyes:

I agree with that. The scaled down action of the CZs is very nice for small calibres.

What do you plan to use it for? If you're doing a lot on a range or sniping at stuff at long range then the Varmint is a nice rifle (I had one in .223). If you're going to move around though a nice sporter weight American would be much better as heavy barrels are just that - heavy - if you have to walk far!

I'd be very tempted to not spend loads on the gun. The diference between a £200 scope and a £500 scope is vast and on a rifle with the potential of the .223 you want something reasonable. Don't buy a really cheap rifle, but a good clean CZ will be a good shooter and at the lower end of the budget scale.

Mod wise avoid the Reflex T8 as I've heard a lot about it rusting out and it's not strippable for cleaning. The Ase Utra Northstar would be my choice if I was to buy a mod now. It's not strippable but is all stainless and built like a tank so it will last! It's no lighter than a T8 but it's much smaller. If you want a strippable one then the Wildcat Predator is nice, I have one on my 6.5x55 but I plan to swap it for a Northstar at some point. The Wildcat is good but it's big like the T8.

Last of all well done on getting the slot. The .223 is a great all round calibre for long range, Bunnies, Foxes and small Deer. You should have a lot of fun with it :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the suggestions,

I do like the CZ's I already have two :good: , a .22lr and .17hmr both synthetic with the stainless barrrel!!! was just thinking of a change? Or maybe I should stick with what I like and know.

It will be used mainly to upset charlie, so something lightish would be prefreble as a fair few miles are covered of an evening

I'll be sure to keep you updated as too my progress.

Cheers

Well I,ve done it, I'm now the proud owner of a Remington 700 SPS.

It has only fired around 20 rounds in its carrer so pretty much brand new, was set up by a RFD friend of mine to help a sceintist with some ballistic experiments and has been in the armoury ever since! So who was I to say no, came set up with scope and mounts its even zeroed (talk about easy life) Even got 40 homeloads thrown in as well!!!

Anyway I'm off to play now thanks to all for the advice.

Ads