springer

cockatoo

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>this is my do harvey at 18 months just started training. my question is i think my dog is the true size you may disagree and fair comment. but dont you htink this breed is getting smaller and thinner to the point that some cannot pick some game up.any comments welcome.">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>this is my do harvey at 18 months just started training. my question is i think my dog is the true size you may disagree and fair comment. but dont you htink this breed is getting smaller and thinner to the point that some cannot pick some game up.any comments welcome." type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

good work matey. but i think personaly you are getting the dog to work to far out unless the camera is making it seem its a big distance i was always told to work your dog to 30-40 yards tops as thats were the kill distance is you dont normally tend to shoot anything past 40 yard with a shotgun. great looking dog.

good work matey. but i think personaly you are getting the dog to work to far out unless the camera is making it seem its a big distance i was always told to work your dog to 30-40 yards tops as thats were the kill distance is you dont normally tend to shoot anything past 40 yard with a shotgun. great looking dog.

thanks for advice mate my first dog iwill remember that. what do you reckon on my comment on size. thanks again

type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

You have a great dog there and it looks like your training is coming on really well, dog looks keen and his heal walking was good.

Have you had the dog out beating this season?? There is nothing better than having a good day out with the dog when its done what youve asked.

You will make mistakes buddy as I did with my Amber but unless your trailing who gives a ****..its all about being part a great team and enjoying the day out.

I cant wait to get another, I'd breed mine but I dont want to spoil her figure!!

The PM

i was not being funny the dog i have is my first aswell but was fortunate enough to be brought up around gun dogs and even the good trainners will say to work them at 25-30 yards tops i am not nit picking in case anyone thought that.

but you seem to be doing really well only saying what was said to me. all the best to you.

i was not being funny the dog i have is my first aswell but was fortunate enough to be brought up around gun dogs and even the good trainners will say to work them at 25-30 yards tops i am not nit picking in case anyone thought that.

but you seem to be doing really well only saying what was said to me. all the best to you.

Think what a gun dogs uses are:

Flushing and bushing yes I totally agree the dog shouldn't work outside of your kill zone or beyond the ranges you said if beating,but the video didn't show that it showed the dog going through the basics and a couple of retrieves.So say you pricked a high bird that glided in rather than dropped to the shot and touched down as a runner 75 yards away what then?.

Keep doing what you're doing Cockatoo cos you've the makings of an excellent dog there,and keep posting the vids!!.

Mike...

Nice video to watch

My opinion is this

Shorten the recall distance....in the video you have blown the whistle and the dog as carried on moving until you told it to stop by voice....what you should of done is took the dog back to the spot where you originally told it to sit and then make it sit and give a few pips on the whistle to re-enforce the command....

Its never easy with your 1st dog but at present you are teaching the dog to ignore the whistle...so make sure the dog knows what the whistle sound means and then re-enforce it.....give them an inch and they will take a mile

2nd video my opinion i dont want to sound cocky cause im still learning myself

Forget the retrieving but concerntrate on the delivery....

Get the dog to sit in front of you and place the dummy in its mouth and give the HOLD command, then I use the word DEAD for the dog to release the dummy.

Once you get this right, after the dog is holding the dummy take a few steps back and call the dog to you and give the sit command and then dead to take the dummy.....increase the distance

Then once this is going well give a nice easy retrieve for the dog one which he can see and hopefully the delivery will be good then you can start looking at blind retrieves etc.

It aint easy and its all a bit exciting for you and the dog, but remember what commands you are using and just make sure before moving forward the dog knows what a command means..

I also get mine to sit and throw a couple of dummies around them to ensure they dont run in on every retrieve they see, i did all the above again today and picked them up myself and i then gave them each the Back command for a thrown dummy over their heads.

Hope this helps

2nd video my opinion i dont want to sound cocky cause im still learning myself

Forget the retrieving but concerntrate on the delivery....

Get the dog to sit in front of you and place the dummy in its mouth and give the HOLD command, then I use the word DEAD for the dog to release the dummy.

Once you get this right, after the dog is holding the dummy take a few steps back and call the dog to you and give the sit command and then dead to take the dummy.....increase the distance

Then once this is going well give a nice easy retrieve for the dog one which he can see and hopefully the delivery will be good then you can start looking at blind retrieves etc.

It aint easy and its all a bit exciting for you and the dog, but remember what commands you are using and just make sure before moving forward the dog knows what a command means..

I also get mine to sit and throw a couple of dummies around them to ensure they dont run in on every retrieve they see, i did all the above again today and picked them up myself and i then gave them each the Back command for a thrown dummy over their heads.

Hope this helps thanks you all for your comments and i will take everything on boured. im not affended im here to learn thanks guys.

You have a great dog there and it looks like your training is coming on really well, dog looks keen and his heal walking was good.

Have you had the dog out beating this season?? There is nothing better than having a good day out with the dog when its done what youve asked.

You will make mistakes buddy as I did with my Amber but unless your trailing who gives a ****..its all about being part a great team and enjoying the day out.

I cant wait to get another, I'd breed mine but I dont want to spoil her figure!!

The PM

have not had him beating training started late due to work comitments wich is a shame. but now got more time. wished id have started earlya. but there you go hes still abit strong headed hes still got some pup in him. thank for the help.