ideas how to tackle this field

daveydw

Middle of the field, 5 pole hide with a roof.

5 pole hide = 4 poles in a square, 5th pole between 2 of the poles and about 1 metre outside the square, keeping the 4 poles set taller than the 5th; Wrap a net around the 5 poles, and use another net over the 4 pole square. This allows you to sit/stand under the roofed part, then stepping out toward the 5th pole to take your shot, giving you a decent shooting radius depending on the height set of the roofed part.

Fantastic! Now I have a use for all the GoreTex bivvi bags which are cluttering up my attic! Top banana.

Bivvi bag story: In 1999 I was living up in Angus, out in the sticks. We decided to have a huge party at New Year, to celebrate the Yr 2000 (only I couldn't have a drink because I work in IT and we all thought the world was going to end), and folk came from all over the country - it was brilliant. Jim, the farmer along the road, had set up three HUGE straw bales at the top of a hill for the bonfire, and at 11.30 he took us all up the hill on the big trailer, and we all had glasses of champagne ('part from me) next to the biggest fire I've ever seen, waiting for The Bells. After midnight, the mobile phones were still working so I decided it was safe to have a few glasses myself while all the fireworks were going off, and we all got a wee bit drunk until about 3 in the morning, and then about a hundred folk staggered back down the hill to find a place to crash in the house. There were folk all over the floors, folk in tents in the garden, folk in hammocks in the barn, and my climber friend Donald said he wanted to sleep on the grassy verge out front, in his brand new bivvi bag, so he could 'look at the stars as he fell asleep'. Each to their own, I thought. Anyway - off he went, and the house fell quiet. Until I was woken up at 7.30am by the sound of a lorry right outside the front door - I looked out the window and it was a fire engine - God knows what it was doing there, but all the firemen were out of the truck and standing next to the gate so I put on a coat and shoes and went out to see what was going on. Just as I got out the doors, all the firemen (who were standing in a huddle around the gate) burst into laughter and climbed back into their truck, apart from the senior officer who had seen me coming. He said "Do you know this man sir?", and then I remembered that Donald had chosen to sleep out on the verge. It turns out that the fire engine was on its way back to the station from some calls to the nearest town, but they'd come along out back road because they'd seen the smouldering bales in Jim's field. As they were driving past the house, they saw a large bag - looked like a body bag - lying next to the road, so they pulled up. All the firemen gathered around, and sure enough it did look like a body zipped up in a nylon bag. One of them crouched down and unzipped the bag, and Donald woke up, still ******, and tried to understand what was happening. A fireman asked "Are you OK pal?", and Donald looked all around him, struggling to focus on all the people, and said... "Well ah'm no f*ckin' on fire if that's whit ye mean!", and then zipped himself back up and went back to sleep! Top bloke.

• 2 weeks later...