using a tumbler or UltraSonic when cleaning brass cases ??

You really need to get the **** off the neck - gets in your dies after a while and isn't a good thing. Tumbler is easier than ultrasonic cleaner as it does more cases. Every now and then ultrasonic is good, I had one and used it each time, takes ages and doesn't make much difference.

You really need to get the **** off the neck - gets in your dies after a while and isn't a good thing. Tumbler is easier than ultrasonic cleaner as it does more cases. Every now and then ultrasonic is good, I had one and used it each time, takes ages and doesn't make much difference.

I disagree, I like the ultrasonic wet clean as I can pour it away down the sink and there will be no dust which will contain some lead deposits, something you don`t want to breath !

A wash and dry will take less than an hour and won`t leave any "polishing media" in the case and the cleaner, I got mine from Lidl/Aldi for less than £20, is a cheap alternative when combined with water, vinegar and a drop of Fairy liquid.

In light of SF's comment, I've reread mine, and can see how that could be misinterpreted.

What I perhaps should have written is that it makes no difference to accuracy to have sparkling brass.

SF is quite right to highlight that a case needs to be free of debris that could cause damage to reloading gear, or more importantly if it's in the case itself potentially unsafe high pressures due to reduced case volume. ALL cases, polished or not, should be inspected for damage prior to loading.

There's a section on polishing here (klicky) which makes a reasonable argument for not using a tumbler, but just cleaning the inside of the neck with a Q-tip. I reckon you can get a lot of lug-'ole cleaners for the price of a tumbler and media. Yyyup!

Klunk out.

A lot of people seem to put them in a low oven for an hour or so after cleaning, to make certain they're completely bone dry, Silhouette.

Another handy tip, which some may be interested in, is to soak them in vinegar. Here's some I've just done as an experiment (if the piccy works).

The one one the left is what I started with - fairly grotty early 90's .308.

The middle one has just been soaked in cider vinegar for around half an hour.

The one on the right was cleaned manually with a paste made of vinegar and salt (the housewive's favourite doorknob cleaner). It's not a great photo, I know, but I can see no difference between the one cleaned by hand and the other which was just soaked without any mechanical cleaning. Looks like vinegar might be a cheap way to go, at last for some.

post-12570-1267632044.gif

Edited by Klunk

Full Linky from accurate shooter

This is what I use, cleans inside and out and neutralizes the acid too........

24 minutes - 50% Vinegar 50% water + 1 Drop Dish Soap(Fairy liquid etc.) per 8 ounces water

480 seconds - Baking Soda (BS) in water (1 grain BS per ounce of water)

480 seconds - Hot Water

480 seconds - Distilled Water(I just use another hot water rinse)

Total: 48 minutes

Dry with kitchen roll and then either on the radiator for 1 hr or an afternoon on the window sill if it`s sunny !