Cleaning Air Rifle

wayne7557

After just purchasing a BSA Lightening XL from a member from here....In excellent condition and really pleased with the purchase...

To keep the rifle in tip top condition

I was just wondering how often you clean your rifles???

Is it a monthly thing?? weekly thing?? Or depends on use???

Also any good oils to use???

Happy shooting

Ohhh a BSA :good::good:

DONT clean the inside of the barrel as for the outside an oily rag will do to prevent rust occuring. Just look after it and it should be fine.

I'm not entirely convinced about the Bold suggestion of not cleaning the barrel..if you simply put lead pellets down it then barrel cleaning is a particularly infrequent event, but I would not says DON'T clean it.

If you put steel/plastic/soaped or anything other than lead down it then do it more often, as for the rest of the gun, then pretty much any gun oil on the metal and Legia etc on the wood!!

<_<:good:

wipe it down after every time you use it to keep it in top nick..start as you mean to go on, only takes about 30 secs..and if you use it in the wet, DONT put a wet gun in its bag and leave it, give it a proper clean as soon as you can :lol:

you carnt beat a drop of duck oil :yes::yes:

WD40 is not a lubricating oil - its a water displacer, and also shifts anything else in the lubrication department by flushing it away. When the WD40 dries (and it does very quickly) you then have no lubrication left. Natural Rubber O rings dont like WD40 either - they swell and turn to a sticky mess.

Makes me a lot of money does the over use of WD40.

As for cleaning the rifle - I put a cleaning pellet through mine every couple of hundred shots, never had a need for anything else.

My bad, i have never cleaned my rifle barrel apart from a few rags down the barrel.

Everytime i finish a day out the gun gets a good rub down with 3 in one never had a problem. The gun get its clean BEFORE i get a clean lol.

Your gun is top priority apart from the dog that is.

Dont ever put it away without a good rub down.

I have drumed this into my three boys and like me they cant put a gun away till its been cleaned and oiled.