Using a laser to judge distance?

BountyHunter

I was wondering, and I an sorry if this has been posted before but...

If I zero my rifle scope at 35 yds then zero a laser to the crosshair on the scope will that act as a range finder IE if the target is closer than 35yds the dot will be above the horizontal and if it is further away below?

Does that work in principle and are there any obvious drawbacks?

BH

There is much on this topic if you do a search. It has been up many times. However:

If you zero the laser and scope to 35yards you will be able to basic range finding. The dot moving up or down depends if it is mounted above or below the barrel. Mounted below the dot rises in distance.

The downfall is that in order to make the most of this you must either mount the laser about 8 inches from the line of sight or stick to short ranges, for instance zero the laser at 25 yards. Th eother proiblem is that the ranging will only best at your highest mag and can never be relied upon if you change your setting.

You can play around with the different setting and zeros quite easily. simply put target boards at 5 yard intervals from 10 to 35 yards and try adjusting the laser to varying zeros until you have something that works well for you through the recticle.

Regards,

Axe.

Hi bounty hunter,

I tried the idea about 8 years ago, yes it is a good idea it has its benifits when out lamping but it was a PITA setting up each time so--- i gave up and just use experience these days. Mind you having an air rifle with a higher velocity than a normal 12ftlb does have its advantages.

It just ended up as another gadget in the box. :D

I was wondering, and I an sorry if this has been posted before but...

If I zero my rifle scope at 35 yds then zero a laser to the crosshair on the scope will that act as a range finder IE if the target is closer than 35yds the dot will be above the horizontal and if it is further away below?

Does that work in principle and are there any obvious drawbacks?

BH

it helps alot if the scope you use has Marked horizontal marks up the vertical axis (like a ruler scale up the centre line) if it has that then its more accurate but really , you mount the laser ontop of the scope (it must be ontop) now at your maximum range you track the laser to the centre of your scope. from then on if the dot is above the cross hair you are bellow your max range , if the dot is above the cross hair then your over your max range....

Hope that makes sence

Edited by mimic