Maintenence

deputy dog

Just bought a Winchester SX3. I'm new to these types of shotgun and would like some advice on how maintain it. I went out on a roost shoot the other night for the 1st time with it and it was drizzling quite a bit. And when i got home i noticed how much water had got into the workings. I done my best to dry it out. But when i checked it again the next day, i noticed there was still quite a bit of moisture still in the workings. Any advice would be great as i'm worried that it may cause premature corrosion of working parts if i dont clean an lube it good enough after shooting in wet conditions.

Cheers

Gareth

Without going into the whole cleaning issue....

Dry them as best as you can and then let them dry naturally at "room" temperature.

DO Not apply direct heat or leave them leaning on a radiator or in front of the fire/boiler whatever, a LIGHT oiling afterwards, job done!

if you go on winchester usa web site you can download a better manual than you get with the gun.

goes into more detail for stripping down. its pretty easy to be honest.

if mine gets wet i always strip it when i get home, and leave it to aclimatise to room temperature before cleaning.

thoroughly clean the gun and very lightly oil.

if its just cold/drizzel outside i dont take trigger group out just barrel off etc and a good clean, with barrel off you can clean

and oil in the receiver pretty well.

if its hammering down will strip trigger group out as well, let it dry out and give a thorough clean and light oil.

i'm a bit anal about cleaning guns though, i know some who dont do quite as much..............

Thanks for the info lads. Taking things apart sounds ok. Buts the putting it back together again is the trouble. Very afraid of losing or damaging a working part and being left with a dud gun through not being compedant enough to do a tidy job :o . But i suppose i got to put any doubts in the back of my mind and get on with it :lol: . I hope its like one post has said, do it once and it east the rest of the time. I have checked it a few times and she is completely dry inside now. So i gave her a little oiling with some proper gun oil and she's fine. But i'm not looking forward to the 1st time i actually strip her down to hive her a good service. :o :o

Cheers

Gareth :lol: :o