Im so excited...........

Spaniel

Well myself and the FIL had booked ourselves in on our 1st working test today (Ammerdown AV Spaniel Working Test).

Really just as a learning curve for us and the dogs to be honest.

16 dogs running

My turn as i drew no 17 and i casted her off, kept the whistle commands to a Min to be honest and let her go with the flow.

Blank shot was fired and i sat her on the whistle (Not literaly) pigeon was thrown and i then gave her the retrieve command, picked the bird up and came back to me ( I always get her to sit before giving her the dead command).

We were then running out of ground and i was asked to put her back on the lead and walk to another part of the ground (Plenty of Pheasants around) cast her off again and then was given a blind retrieve....she never went straight back, she went out to my left, so i called her back and re-issued the command and eventually she went out and retrieved the pigeon to me ....

10 Mins later i was asked to quarter her in a small valley type of a ditch, no cover just leaves....not my idea hunting ground to be honest, so i casted her off and gave a good few peeps on the whistle, if i thought she was going to far, i stopped her and called her back and sent her in to cover....that was it

Judges comments were just to work on the BACK command, and keep her in as tight as possible when hunting, as most of the other guys seem to have their dogs hunting at their feet....

Any way back to the pub for a pint and for the results....

2nd Prize went to my FIL with his 4 year old bitch, mother to my 2 year old and sister to my 4 year old.

3rd prize.......wait for it...went to my Willow...to say we were both shocked is an under statement.

Im so excited the Mrs as been kicked out of bed and replaced with the Springer

Judges today were Martin Ashman and Nick Gregory

Thats great stuff. I'm entering my cocker into our first working test in April - it'll be a first for both of us, and I'm pretty sure that she'll have the same problem with the blind retrieve. Doesn't seem to matter how many times I train it, she just doesn't get the message!

Good result!

I think it is back to retrieving in the lane next to the house for a while, which should get her going back in a straight line again...

Was told to place 2 dummies down, which will give her something to think about.......

training starts again tomorrow :blush:

well done mate :blush: you must be well chuffed .

i,d love to have a go at something like that , where do you find out about trials taking place ?

i,d also love to know how these guys get there spaniels to hunt and quarter at there feet , wish my bitch would :blush:

well done mate :blush: you must be well chuffed .

i,d love to have a go at something like that , where do you find out about trials taking place ?

This was just word of mouth through where the father in law trains his dogs, but i found a few by just googling today....try to find a local gun dog society and ask them....WGDS carry loads of tests out, look on their web site

i,d also love to know how these guys get there spaniels to hunt and quarter at there feet , wish my bitch would :look:

No idea to be honest but as mine are shooting dogs its no good having them quartering to close to you :blush: