Loadsapigeons

Browning GTS

It was so painfull today whilst walking my terrier in the fields just behind where i live, the sky was full, at a rough guess 1,300-1,800 pigeons, 500-600 Jackdaws. :lol::lol:

Had a walk out into the field which is setaside,( but there is a crop just over the hedge) and was almost on top of the closest ones before they took flight when they did the two flocks got mixed up and you could hear the birds getting in each others way. Trouble is i have already approched the farmer and give him my number, no reply. The problem could be the proximity of footpaths and houses.

Will have to try him again soon. I suppose the good thing is at some point the birds will move on, maybe better luck with the next farmer. :lol:

Browning,

The real problem with getting a reply from the farmer is that he doesn't care one little bit if his set-aside is blue with woodies, 'cos they're not hitting his pocket.

Normally at this time of year the Pigeons would be stuffing themselves full of acorns & beachmast in the woods around Wendover, Halton, Great Missenden etc, but this year..Halleluyah..!!!, they're on the fields early because the nuts simply ain't about..!!

I'm alway's in favour of the personal approach to farmers - they always appreciate straight talking people who offer to keep the woodies off for "today", in order not to upset the regular shooters that most farmers have in tow.

If you can demonstrate that you are responsible and clear up after you, then you will generally be OK to return, and will soon be accepted as another "regular".

Forget all about sending letters, business cards etc, it's a waste of time, most farmers simply can't be bothered to read them.

Good luck,

Double H.

Double H is as usual spot on here, I've always advocated the direct approach, don't go looking too scruffy and don't beg and plead. Just put your case and explain that you have insurance and will act responsibly, clearing up after yourself.

As you gain land you can tell adjacent farmers "I've been shooting pigeons for Mr. XXX at the farm nearby", you'll be amazed at how easy it is.

I've made up some cards with brief details of my insurance on the back and a list of services and contact details on the front, I always give one of these to the farmer even if he denies permission in the first instance. Had one occasion this year where a farmer kept telling me he'd got someone shooting his pigeons, which seemed strange as I never saw any evidence of this. When passing I always stopped for a chat when I saw him working in the yard, got talking to his brother just after rape harvest and asked if I could shoot the stubble which he granted no problem. Had a great day and have now set a precedence with that farm so will be keeping an eye out on their crops this season.