Help with shotgun law

achray

Hi anyone out there an expert on uk gun law.

I own 2 shotguns out in Turkey, they are on my yacht which is quite legal in Turkey without a license.

The o/u has 18" barrels & the pump has 20" barrels, both have fixed stock.

I have enquired about bringing them to the uk with me & putting them on my fac, my licencing officer seems to think it is not a problem & they can give me permission if i apply (i still have a dozen spaces on my ticket from the handgun hand in)

I know the o/u is ok as i have had a short barrel s/s & a 410 shotpistol on my ticket before, but i thought pumps & autos still had to be 24" minimum barrel & 40" minimum overall.

any advice appreciated, as i dont want to drop myself in it with uk customs.

Edited by achray

As far as your pump action is concerned it would depend on the capacity of the magazine. If it is able to hold more than 2 cartridges it would be classed as a section 5 firearm and although technically possible for grant on a fac I would imagine you would have difficulty convincing your licensing manager to grant you a slot.

The o/u would not pose the same problems and as you say grant of a short barreled shotgun is possible providing you can demonstrate need as you have previously done.

If the pump is a 2 shot it would fall into this category so is technically possible but proving a need for two such shotguns may take a bit of doing.

Remember that any "free" slots you have will be designated for particular calibers and will need a variation to permit you to acquire (read add) your shotguns to your fac.

As far as your pump action is concerned it would depend on the capacity of the magazine. If it is able to hold more than 2 cartridges it would be classed as a section 5 firearm and although technically possible for grant on a fac I would imagine you would have difficulty convincing your licensing manager to grant you a slot.

The o/u would not pose the same problems and as you say grant of a short barreled shotgun is possible providing you can demonstrate need as you have previously done.

If the pump is a 2 shot it would fall into this category so is technically possible but proving a need for two such shotguns may take a bit of doing.

Remember that any "free" slots you have will be designated for particular calibers and will need a variation to permit you to acquire (read add) your shotguns to your fac.

i already have 2 multi shot pumps & 1 auto, & last year sold 11 shot & 9 shot remmy 1100s & have permission for 3 more sect.1 shotguns so that is not a problem.

the pump in question is 6+1 so what you are saying is it must be restricted to a 2+1. oh & i gave duff info just looked at a picture of the guns & the pump is longer so it must be 20" barrel.

I was told that sec 1 shotguns still have to comply with length regs, ie 24" barrel, the guns you have would technically be classed as section 5. don't know how you'd get granted a sec5 cert.

the o/u can go on a sect.1 as barrel lengh is not an issue, as i stated i have owned a 16" barrel 12g s/s & a 6" barrel 410 hammer shot pistol on sect.1 before.

i gun i am concerned about is the 20" high capacity pump, i think i will do better selling it in turkey. as i said i dont want to drop myself in it.

as for sect.5 i have a few mates who have managed to get sect.5 & still shoot practical pistol now & represent us in competitions worldwide.