original ww1 german dagger

hookbones

i have for sale from my mums collection a 1st world war german trench knife.the blade is bright and without edge so it is the dress version also used in combat for its ripping effect.

the blade is marked on 1 side with `D` and the other side `GOTTLIEB HAMMESFAHR SOLINGEN FOCHF` as it should be.. condition is excellent

i remember it not having a scabbard as a kid but there is 1 with it now so she must have found 1 to fit <i make no claim on the origins of this scabbard> the leather smells right but condition of it is too good and it is high polished when it should have been blued when made.

id pref face 2 face as it is a knife and proof the buyer is over 18 will be required

looking for around £75 ono

post-20426-1270202944.jpg

Edited by hookbones

That particular knife was never used as a dress version.If it is genuine from the era, the reason the blade has no edge is because all WWI & WW2 German field knives were sharpened by quartermaster support units in the rear prior to issue.

Its is commonly known as the 121918M model, first designed and made by Henrich Böker & Company of Solingen,Germany. Many were made under licence by other manufacturers, original Böker's being the most collectable.

Gottlieb hammesfahr was licenced war ministry knife manufacturer who produced from original designs.

I have to say the 'D' tang stamp you have stated actually dates it as being a 1939 made blade.It was by then designated a boot knife as trench fighting requirement were a thing of the past. Gottlieb hammasfahr blades as a rule of thumb were only supplied in bayonets during WW1 but then again so many were made by different manufacturers you could have something rare.

Blade does look rather bright for that age, any other field issue markings?:good: There could be a another tang stamp, most likely very faint in the shape of a crossed pyramid. Are the grips wood or Bakelite? Blade length just over 6"? overall size 11.5-12.2"?

As with all this type of stuff as good as it looks there are countless reproductions out there.

The scabbard could be fake mainly down to the non existence with the knife when originally acquired. They are harder to authenticate.

Your pricing is very good as well for an original, most orignal hammesfahr made edged weapons are fetching 300-400 quid at auction at present.

Edited by starlight32

its 11" overall with a 6.25" <1/8th thick> blade and the grip is dark oiled wood ...i just remember it being in with her others as a kid and not being allowed near them

sadly she has died so i have no further information on it... the blade has been smeared in thick grease for the last 20-30 years to my knowledge. as said i dont remember the scabbard being with it.

she collected mostly 2nd world war german militaria this being 1 of maybe 3 items i understood to be 1st