COUNTRY FILE THIS MORNING.

Frank

Hi Frank.

When I made the sarkey remark about the silencers I was really meaning "like that will make it OK for the Deer" as if it was a way of not panicing them. I suppose if they do it at point blank there will be little noise?? But from the air there will still be noise even with the silencer?? anyway if they use helicopter who need a silencer with the noise of the big bird.

Don't get me wrong guys, if they need to be culled for the sack of the future herds and country side I can live with that. There is just a better way for the deer, the shooter and the future of the sport and the local estate owners and economy.

Think about it! We are not talking about 800 deer, it 8000 deer. Longer seasons what ever. I am not a deer hunter but hack if there was a problem for a year or 2 I would seriously think about it.

I did contact BASC and they said they would get back to me on this issue!!

Invector, great that you know of Hackleton. :lol:

I spent 4 years in it, from 84 to 88. I was 14 when i moved their and spent my teenage years ferreting and air gunning about the place. :lol::lol:

It was some of the best years of my life at the time, went beating and fox hunting aswell, great fun.

Do you know of a farmer called Alex Harding?, we use to ferret that land a good bit, he might of passed away now.

Is it all changed i wonder?

Big Dog, i agree, it would be far more noisier with a flaming halicopter hovering around their heads.

What is happening in this planet of ours, i wonder sometimes :thumbs: .

First war in Iraq and now, war on the red deer with halicopters in Scotland, Bah! :<

Wow, i know Salcey forest, well use to. their was a few deer around their if i can remember. Do you do any stalking, or just vermin and game birds?

Cant remember if i heard of Mr castell's iv heard of Chambers i think, sorry, my memory is not the best, we were pretty cheeky in them days and sort of went were we pleased, but never caused any harm and tryd to stick to where we had permision. Their was a race track not to far away from Hackelton, on an old disused railway which was full of bunnys, had great times ferreting their and poping a few off with my .22 BSA Mucury S. :thumbs:

From their till Brayfeild village, it was good ferreting and airgunning ground.

Thats right, Hackeleton to Horton Village, turn left and 3 miles to Brafeild. On the left hand side of the Brafeild road, across a few feilds, was the race track, Banger as you said. I never new it was called that, or forgot, as i never had much to do with the race track itself. Instead, ferreted and shot the rabbits around it. :lol:

On that particular road, i once saw a dead Muntjack, a road casulty, so their must of been some in in the surrounding feilds, from Horton to Brafeild, at the time.

Is their much fallow and Muntjack their now?, as at that time, they were scatterd, here and their.

Prehaps im rong, i was not too into stalking at that time. :thumbs:

Just to keep you up to date. Below is a copy of the reply email to me from BASC in relation to the deer cull

Dear ...........,

Your email entitled Culling 8000 deer has been passed to me for attention. There appear to be some inaccuracies in the information that you have picked up so, if you do not mind, I shall briefly make a few comments. (I do so as the Scottish Director of BASC as well as being a Commissioner with the Deer Commission for Scotland.)

A large number of deer do need to be culled in one part of Scotland - Caenlochan - an area covering 250 square kilometres.

4,300 deer need to be culled up to March, and a further 4,300 next year. This is intended to reduce the density of deer from 42 per square kilometre to 19 per square kilometre. This is being done to protect 14 designated plant communities.

Helicopters may be used later in the season to transport stalkers out to the hill and to remove carcasses. Helicopters will not be used to herd deer.

Live capture pens may be used on one of the 10 estates that are involved. Deer captured in these pens will then be humanely culled.

The important point to bear in mind is that this is being done under Section 7 of the Deer (Scotland) Act 1996 and that the estates involved voluntarily agreed to reduce their deer number in 2003. Since then the normal culls have not been sufficient to reduce deer numbers so the cull needs to be increased for the next two years. Last year these estates culled 2295 red deer. This year they will need to cull 4300.

I can assure you that I am closely involved in this issue, as a Deer Commissioner and through my role with BASC Scotland, and I can also assure you that this cull will be carried out in accordance with Best Practice, and that it will not be "brutal".

If you require any further information then please contact me here at Trochry.

Best wishes,

Colin Shedden

Dr Colin B. Shedden

Director

BASC Scotland

Trochry

Dunkeld

Tayside

PH8 0DY

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this is helpful and maybe a bit reassuring to know BASC are involved.

Big Dog :thumbs:

It seems a wasted oppurtunity for so many people. I myself would love to have a go!

I have no experience but would be happy to pay to tag along and be given the chance to take a shot under supervision (after recieving the proper training etc).

The money raised could be put back into the estates.

Everyone is happy then!