Dummy Launcher

ziplex

Can someone give me a concrete answer on this please....

As I read it a blank firing pistol/revolver is an 'imitation weapon' in the eyes of the law which I fully understand and you're quite possibly going to get convicted for it's use in a public place....fair enough. Dummy Launchers are not classed as 'imitation' so it appears ok to use? I will be recieving one soon for Roobs ongoing training and ear marked some 'common land' that is rarely, if ever, visited by other people/dog walkers etc. My only concern is a house approx 3-400 yards away which backs onto this 'common' I don't see a problem but wanted some clarification should old bill turn up. The BASC site is a little vague, unless it's me :lol:

I can drive to permissioned land but the nearest is a 40 odd mile 'round trip so a little more local would be beneficial what with diesel being so bloody expensive!

Hi Duncan

You can use the launcher or pistol if you can show you are using it for gun dog training

I use mine down on common land just as you describe and i just make sure no one is about...have not had a problem as yet to be honest

Cheers

I think i read somewhere that you can use a launcher, as long as it isn't mounted like a gun, on public land. i use mine over a local BIG park and i find when I'm training that the other dog walkers give me room, well all but one that like to walk her terrier right in front of me but the cocker just sits there looking and does not move.

check with your local FLO as they will have come up on thing more than once.

I too have had this same issue crop up recently.

The real issue is ownership of land and therefore permission. When you say 'common land', who actually owns it? Around my way, I was using what is public access land, and later discovered it was owned by the local council. I then thought it would be the right thing to do to ask permission of the council to use it for dog training with a dummy launcher and it was rejected on the grounds that anyone in earshot would think it was a gun and call the police. Utter nonsense obviously, but its their land so their call I suppose.

I'd be really careful about using it anywhere you can be overlooked. It only takes a phone call to the old bill to turn your dog training into a really bad day!

I'm now playing it safe and identifying land in my area to ask permission of landowners for use for gundog training.

Good luck!

Thanks all, Ian...I am intending to use, as you do, well out of the way and the area i'm thinking of rarely gets anyone on there especially when it's wet as access is only possible with a 4 x 4, but the BASC guidline (which is similar/same to the wording Gully points out) is a bit ambiguous?! It more or less says pistol/revolver...don't use in a public place ie: 'common ground' but it doesn't really say one way or 'tother about dummy launchers other than using it as intended, (having a Spaniel at your side with a quizzical look on it's mug as the dummy soars away being proof of dog training :) )

jimmyb......I assume all 'common ground' is council owned therefore the answer is almost dertainly going to be a 'no', after a sharp and prolonged intake of breath no doubt :hmm:

jimmyb......I assume all 'common ground' is council owned therefore the answer is almost dertainly going to be a 'no', after a sharp and prolonged intake of breath no doubt :D

Sharp intake of breath is definitely right!

I've had a re-read of the BASC guidance and it does say towards the end that regardless of whether the land is private or public access, one should always seek permission from the owner for using it for training:

Last paragraph:

"You must always seek permission from the owner of and land where you wish to carry out dog training with imitation firearms or dummy launchers."

...which for common land is simply out of the question with most if not all councils. It is a shame as with a bit of common sense employed, there really isn't any need to prohibit such activity.