Changing internet provider

christy

My pc gets well slow in the evenings. I've done a defrag and used some other clean up device recently but nothing really changed. The finger of suspicion is now pointing firmly at Tiscali.com.

Also, we pay 17.99 for Tiscali, 14.99 for BT anytime and 21.00 for Sky tv-all monthly. Methinks I need a package deal. A) I would save some dosh and :lol: get a better broadband sevice.

What do you think? Are Tiscali any good? I should point out that we live in the sticks so no cable only BT line to work from.

Shall I change and who to???

Any advice greatly appreciated ta.

Got to go with BE Broadband. They actually ask you to use as much bandwidth as possible. I probably do over 100gb of data a month. Any other provider would have you cut off or limited. Super speeds and cheaper than you're paying.

I use mine for torrents and they also don't limit the speeds of those. :yes:

Edited by harfordwmj

Might be worth finding out if you can have your BT phone cable checked to see if it can handle faster broadband? Loads of people get caught up with paying loads for fast connnections only to be limited by a rubbish physical connection. Worst case might be to try mobile broadband.

Edited by Silhouette

I have phone and broadband with plusnet. I would love to move to another provider, but I would think they are all the same?

Phil

Mmm, my thoughts exactly. BE sounds ok but as mentioned above would my bt connection handle more input? On their site I see mac mentioned so would my system have to change ie still use windows xp?

It's a minefield. Just hoped there would be a simple solution.

Mmm, my thoughts exactly. BE sounds ok but as mentioned above would my bt connection handle more input? On their site I see mac mentioned so would my system have to change ie still use windows xp?

It's a minefield. Just hoped there would be a simple solution.

Internet doesn't get affected by what computer you're using. You'll actually find Macs are far more superior to Windows at connecting to devices. Rarely do you need to download 'drivers'

I think you might have seen 'MAC' which is used to migrate your connection between ISPs

Edited by harfordwmj

mine would only recieve 4 gbs :yes:

:yes: I wish I could get 4gbits. I think you mean 4mbits. :lol:

I'd not turn my nose up at that speed, as I was using the 'BT Home Highway' all but 9 years ago. That was one of the fastest residential lines you could get and that was a blistering 512kbits. :good:

I'm with Sky for tv, phone and broadband.

TV package is £35 for 2 packages plus all the movies (I don't watch sport).

Line rental is £11 per month (which is cheaper than BT just) but gives me free evening and weekend calls.

Broadband is on 20mb unlimited downloads package which is £10 per month but I got 6 months free so equivalent to £5 per month for a year, which is same price as the 10mb package which I'll probably swap to after a year. I think I get about 12mb as I'm very close to exchange.

So paying £51 per month for everything, suits me as I got a new Sky+ HD box thrown in for free (even though not on HD package).

Comparing it to yours I guess you would need to pay the extra £5 per month for anytime calls if you still wanted that.

TV =£21

Phone = £16

Broadband = £10 (if you went for top package)

Total = £47 instead of £54

If you went for 10mb broadband (has a 10gb limit per month but depends how much you actually download) and just free evening and weekend calls then price would be £37 a month a saving of £17 per month or £204 per year.

I was with Virgin before for phone and broadband (refused their tv package as don't like it) and much prefer Sky.

Edited by Dr W