guns with stocks longer than 14 1/2" - o/u or semi

dooseydog

A newbie to this great forum and a newbie to CLAY shooting.

I am 52, built like an Orang Utang - 6'5" and long arms + the benefit of a damaged right shoulder , have been told I need a gun with a stock of at least 14.5" which will make fitting less involved and presumably less expensive , does anybody know of a brand that is known for longer stocks ?

Also reading the many debates over the acceptability of semi-autos , is the acceptability of semi autos due to the rise of the interest in them or is it because they soon will become unacceptable , many reasons I ask , but not least they have less recoil and plain and simply like the look of them !!!

Finally and thank you for reading thus far , would a 20g o/u be a non-starter for me?

My budget is up to £750 and prefer to buy secondhand , looks etc unimportant suitability and ease of fit is

Many thanks

James

Edited by dooseydog

Also reading the many debates over the acceptability of semi-autos , is the acceptability of semi autos due to the rise of the interest in them or is it because they soon will become unacceptable , many reasons I ask , but not least they have less recoil and plain and simply like the look of them !!!

Semi autos are getting more acceptable with time but are generally not accepted on driven shoots I think, if you're shooting on your own at pigeons or at clays then it's not an issue (not anywhere I've been anyway).

Edited by Shuck.

nothing wrong with semis, just don't get one as an "only" gun, LOP can be adjusted on most guns via spacers and thicker heel plates, just make sure that if you end up buying a synthetic semi that there are sufficient spacers for it.

atb, gram..

PS, just noticed you said 14 1/2" LOP, that's not far off a standard gun.

Edited by GRAM71

Hi Doosey. I'm like youself, 6ft 5" tall and pretty big built as well. I recently sold an o/u because i couldn't hit a barn door with it. I then went out an bought off the shelf, a Winchester SX3 semi auto. I did try out a few other semi's before i decided on this make. Every thing about the gun felt right compared to the others i picked up and shouldered. I can honestly say that we have become best friends. My shooting has dramatically improved with it and i'm hitting 75% more with this gun then i ever done with my o/u. I'm not saying that that this gun is defo for you, but if you are looking for an all rounder semi with low recoil. I would say this gun is worth checking out. Not sure about all the measurements in the stock. But you know when some thing feels right and this gun did and has proven to be a great asset. As for acceptability, well i would say it comes under the snobbery act more then the accepatbility act. Why some one should look down on any one for shooting a different gun to them god knows. Whether your pheasant shooting or clay busting, as long as you are hitting what your aiming at and enjoying it, who should give a damn what gun you have. But unfortunately some shots are like that. Just try not to be put off by it or them. All best in your search mate.

All best

Gareth

Edited by deputy dog

Im 6 foot 1 and i had a silver pigeon with 14 and 3/4 inch LOP i think and although im not a gun fitter at 6 foot 5 you would be wanting more like 15 inches of pull could be better for you. I shoot a s/s now and that has 15 inchs of pull and i had it extended with a silvers recoil pad from 13 1/2 inches and it looks good so a recoil pad could be worth looking at. When i bought my silver pig i was told browning are often a little longer in the stock so thats worth looking into i suppose if you look around i am sure you will find one and for that money look second hand Beretta, browning or Mirkoku although beretta and browning may be stretching you budget a bit.

George