barrel lenth accuracy power and heat

welsh warrior

right so im after my 1st rifle and im new to rifles and tricks of the trade so to speak.first question is is it true the longer the barrel the more accuracy you get at distance i dont mean stupid long but i seen barrels on the cz rifles are very short and a lot of other types are also short so would it be worth getting a longer barrel of what ever rifle i get and version i get? second question is the power linked with barrel lenth do you get more power with a longer barrel or does it cuase to much drag on the bullet if the barrel is to long?and i heard that todays barrles heat up after only 2 shotsand the 3rd is all over the place. is this only on the large cal rifles say the .308 .223 ? and im very intrested in the cz can anybody give me some happy storys with the cz 452 version :good: ? i love the look of the CZ 452-2E ZKM SILHOUETTE cracking rifle hope to get it in .22lr or .17hmr or both :yes:

I have CZ .22lr 16inch varmint and the .17hmr version, brilliant little guns and deadly accurate. Short barrels on .22 lr work really well as anything over 14inches is just slowing the bullet down with friction. You can have fun with it all day and not bother to much about barrel heating. The .17hmr is more ideally suited to a 20inch barrel as the 16inch will not allow full powder burn, though muzzle speed is down a little it isnt really noticable and is still accurate and hard hitting.

I use a CZ 452 in 17HMR which has a 20 inch heavy (Varmint) barrel and I just can not fault it Welsh Warrior. I am so happy and confident woth it that I regularly take and get head shots on rabbirs with it at ranges out to 150 yards! :good:

The accuracy is superb and does not vary no matter how many shots you put through it to "warm the barrel up"! To give you an idea I was at the ranges last Sunday "having fun" at the end of the session where we had put up loads of small plastic "Yakult" bottles and were shooting the hell out of them at 100 yards. Even after putting something like 30 or more shots through the barrel in less than 5 minutes the accuracy never wavered or varied. Unfortunately I can not speak for the CZ 452 with the slimmer (Sporting) barrel as I have no experience of them but I do have a Bruno Fox Model 2 which has a thinner "Sporting" barrel and that does start to warn up and lose a bit of accuracy after 4 or 5 shots put through it in fairly rapid succession when zeroing. I should add that this is quite an old gun and has seen a heck of a lot of rounds through its barrel and I have no idea how it was treated by the previous owner(s), but is more than accurate enough for foxing with which might only take 3 to 5 shots in an entire night with the barrel never getting a chance to get warm!

As for the barrel length on a 17HMR I am not sure but on a .22LR I believe that a shorter (Say 16 inch barrel) is is just as accurate as a 20 inch barrel - There are some places that sell a barrel as short as 12.5 inches for the Ruger 10/22 I believe!

I don't know if this helps or not, I hope it does!

most people reduce the barrel because of weight or to use in a 4x4.

my mate had the 16 inch hmr and i have the 20inch barrel.both are the heavy varmint barrel.

both are very accurate and no difference noted.

some say you lose some power out of the short barrel but,the loss would be something that would not be noticed,exept by a chrono.

al

why dont they make the barrels mil grade i mean the metal is not the same as rifles made years ago they are to thin take the .308 after 2 shots when you fire the 3rd its off by a a fair bit as in terms of grouping

It will be rare you need to fire a .308 3 times in quick succession in the field, and it should still do that fine anyway!

Thinner barrels are a trade off against carting around a heavy tool all day in the field.

Target rifles still tend to have heavy, and extremely long barrels in many instances!