.22 hornet vs .17hmr

ads03ads

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always best to have a calibre that fufills a number of jobs that's why I settled on a 30-06 for deer boar target,I've a .223 for fox and target and for real long range rabbit,but don't usually bother unless we spot rabbit city at a distance we use our bipods and have a freindly competition on who can snipe the most! But if I'm on my own I don't bother. I use my 17 hmr mostly itl go out to 100 meters so I'm happy with that.I don't believe it has enough kinetic energy for fox so if I see fox I let it go its wat being a sportsman is all about.but getting back to the point perhaps u could load the hornet down for rabbit (close) and up for fox(bit further) thus fufilling 2 roles!

ide have to disagree,there would be nothing left of the bunnies if u use that same load,i prefer to use varmint grenades on muncjac,i do prefer the vmax on the fox though as muncjac are a little denser.bt ultimately its up to you my friend i guess i just get too fussy with my reloading!!

Edited by the running man

If you mix your loads you will need to learn two different trajectories and probably have two zero points. So you'll need to mess about with the scope depending on what load you use and you'll have to think more about how it flies.

Yes the Hornet will trash Rabbits but learn to head shoot all but the longest range shots. I wouldn't be messing with two loads that's for sure!

EDIT... Oh, and Varmint grenades for Munties? That's not the best plan surely? There are a lot of bullets out there so why pick one which isn't ideal and has questionable legality?

Edited by njc110381

Why use them? Because I find they work best that's why, there not illegal yet boy.is 2 trajactories and adjusting ure scope too complicated for you? That's why uve got mil dots and other point of aim type crosshairs to help the shooter insted of adjusting ure scope. How the would people like you do on an mod range at 600 or 1000 or 1200 yrds? Gonna use the same load for those distances? Where seasoned experienced shooters know their stuff and have masterd it.

Running Man, I take your point about the seasoned experience shooters and MOD ranges etc, but unfortuately I'm just not that good a shot (yet) I'll have to admit that having to mess around with the scope between shots is probally a little bit more effort than I'm after when out in the field, on the range maybe but to be honest I don't spend much time on the range these days.

When thinking about changing loads for different quarrys I just didn't put the differing tradjectories in to the equation (silly boy!!!) I think for what its worth if I can find a good all round load I'll be as happy as a pig in muck.

Cheers

Ads

Why use them? Because I find they work best that's why, there not illegal yet boy.is 2 trajactories and adjusting ure scope too complicated for you? That's why uve got mil dots and other point of aim type crosshairs to help the shooter insted of adjusting ure scope. How the would people like you do on an mod range at 600 or 1000 or 1200 yrds? Gonna use the same load for those distances? Where seasoned experienced shooters know their stuff and have masterd it.

Well actually yes,

I shot at 500 and 1000 yards on sunday with the same rounds (7.62 x 51 L42A3 Army sniper issue) with open sights and didn't have any difficulties except the wind at 1000 yards.

However every shot would have resulted in a kill at that range (except the first sighter shot which was low) Two loads and adjusting sights isn't an issue if you know what to do, I know my elevation settings from a 300 yard zero for 500, 600, 900 and 1000 yards, couple that with a few wind flags and it is easy (ish)

However why make things difficult? If you have a load that you normally shoot rabbits with in the rifle and a fox appears what do you do? Do you just shoot it? if so then you don't need two loads. Or do you change loads, alter your sights and by that time Charlie has walked off.

No I am not using the same load for fox,

You said you wouldn't use the same load for 600, 1000 and 1200 yards and I said yes you do. I never mentioned fox. However I am sure that a hollow point or soft nose bullet would still get the same results at those sort of distances.

Providing you know you zero and elevation changes obviously.

I'm not sure I could even see a fox at 1000 yards. let alone shoot him!!!!!!!!!!!!

MC I must say I'm impressed, thats some shooting with open sights, about 50 yards has got to be my record with them. Just how much pratice have you put in? :good:

Cheers

Ads

Edited by ads03ads

It really isn't that hard, the hardest part about the long range shooting is reading the wind. If you can hit a bullseye at 15 yards you can do it at 1000. The target is relative in size and looks the same regardless of distance.

Knowing that my barrel needs to be elevated 31 1/4 minutes above my 300 yard zero and it should put me on the target if you get the wind right. My best ever group at 500 yards was a 10 shot 3" group all within the bull. It is only a technique the same as hitting a clay or shooting a fox.

By open sights I don't mean ones like you get on an air rifle, they are precision aperture sights with a vernier scale

My mistake there,yes I use a diff load at 1000 than I do for fox,I don't shoot 600 or 800 just 200 and 1000 so I've a fox load and a target load.open sights at 1000 u on the gb palma squad? ,very impressive its a lost art pass on wat u have learned! Many have forgotten how! I have to consult my notes for my long lee at 200 short siberia! Well done you.