What does a choke actually do??

Lee Newbie

sorry for this really random post but what exacally does a choke do on a gun as mine is fixed??? thats all i no lol :yes:

it determines how wide or tight your shot pattern is as it leaves the barrel. less choke bigger spread.more choke tighter pattern.

Choke gives the pellets a slight inward propulsion as they leave the barrel and thus controls the way in which the pellets spread, tighter chokes give a tighter pattern, no choke is called cylinder, then we have 'skeet', 1/4, sometimes 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and full, choke does not really extend the usable range of the shotgun but rather gives more 'strikes'

or as i put it some weeks back with figures

Choke is a constriction at the muzzle end of the bore, by may be a few thousands of and inch, the effect of choke is to tighten the pattern of shot,

so say a true cylinder ( no constriction) will throw approx 40% of the shot into a 30 inch circle at 40 yards,

half choke will throw approx 60% /30 inch circle / 40 yards and

full choke will throw 75% / 30 inch circle / 40 yards

The idea is to have less holes in the pattern through which a clay or game whatever can fit through ensuring a clean kill

Edited by Paul223