Optics advice.

deputy dog

Hello Lads. i'm in the market for a new set of optics for my Hmr. I have Niko Game King 4x16x44 on there at the moment and after a bit of deliberating. I just dont think their cutting the mustard as a FAC rifle scope. So i'm putting them on my new air rifle i'm buying for pottering around barns and back yard plinking. I'm looking for a decent new or quality second hand scope which will do the job required of them. I got about $450+ to pay for them. Not bothered about high mag, up to 12 would be ok and a 44 or 50 objective lens. Would also like a set if possilbe with a fine reticule. Any Advice on any scope and make would be greatfully recieved.

ATB

Gareth

You could do a lot worse than a Bushnell Legend 5-14 x 40 and currently available for less than £180 new. See Airguns board for favourable reviews in 2009. I have one on my HMR and like it. I'd particularly agree with the Airguns comment about depth of focus, which is very forgiving.

Hello Lads. i'm in the market for a new set of optics for my Hmr. I have Niko Game King 4x16x44 on there at the moment and after a bit of deliberating. I just dont think their cutting the mustard as a FAC rifle scope. So i'm putting them on my new air rifle i'm buying for pottering around barns and back yard plinking. I'm looking for a decent new or quality second hand scope which will do the job required of them. I got about $450+ to pay for them. Not bothered about high mag, up to 12 would be ok and a 44 or 50 objective lens. Would also like a set if possilbe with a fine reticule. Any Advice on any scope and make would be greatfully recieved.

ATB

Gareth

you have 450 dollars ($) whats that in pounds then ?? :good:

Seriously, I'd consider a Bushnell Elite higher mag than the Legend a tad more expensive though - also the Leupold VX 3 is a good HMR scope clarity is superb

Les :lol::lol::lol:

you have 450 dollars ($) whats that in pounds then ?? :lol:

Seriously, I'd consider a Bushnell Elite higher mag than the Legend a tad more expensive though - also the Leupold VX 3 is a good HMR scope clarity is superb

Les :lol::lol::P

[/quot

I did have a ponder about a few scope ranges last night, but i couldn't decide on any. I'm glad you LEZ and the other forum members posted a few optics to have a look at. Otherwise i would still be in a right pickle now. The optics i originally bought for it are ok, but as i stated i think their more suited for a good airgun. When the excitement wore off after i bought my 1st gun combo, i began thinking that i may have been a little to quick in making my decision about buying that scope set up. I just noticed that the target was what i call a little blury or hazy at 100yrds and the cross hair seem to dominate the bull area making it hard to see. My friend said the same when he put a few rounds through her. Found it hard to keep focus on what he was shooting at. Hence deciding to get a better scope for the job. Oh and i saw the dollar sign on my price range. Its amazing what you lot would pick up on lololol. I am going to look at all the scope metioned now. Thanks to you and all the above posters for all the advice.

ATB

Gareth

Edited by deputy dog

Thanks all for the posts and advice. I have had a look see about different makes and models of scope. There's only one i keep going back to and thats the CARL ZEISS conquest range. I done the dollar to pound price ratio on a converter page. And a good a set of 3.5-10x44 are only about £500 in our money. I'm trying to find a company that does them in this country. Or i may have to pay a little shipping tax on top of the price. But all in all i think for the amount of scope i'm getting for my money. I think they'll be worth it.

Thanks all for the posts and advice. I have had a look see about different makes and models of scope. There's only one i keep going back to and thats the CARL ZEISS conquest range. I done the dollar to pound price ratio on a converter page. And a good a set of 3.5-10x44 are only about £500 in our money. I'm trying to find a company that does them in this country. Or i may have to pay a little shipping tax on top of the price. But all in all i think for the amount of scope i'm getting for my money. I think they'll be worth it.
litts got the new duralyt there know

litts got the new duralyt there know

Yes PaulT i have has a look on their web site. Their asking stupid money for them. The cheapest is £493 and with vat whacked on top pushes them to £580. To me thats a bloody rip off. Their vat mad down there which doesn't help us budgeted shooters who have to save for things. I would have a look at them if they took the vat off. Bloody rediculous prices.

the conquest are well worth a look. Glass is imo much better than bushnell and leupold for not much more money. Nobody sells them in the UK though so you'll have to import one - or get lucky and find a used one for sale!!!

IOR are also worth a look - if you can find a used one.

Personally my HMR ended its life with a used 8x56 s&b, which I found ideal.