Long term gun storage

Trent

Hi,

Does anyone know what the proper procedure is for storage of firearms if you're going to be out of the country for six months? The house is still going to be occupied by relatives but I doubt it'd be allowed to take the keys and leave them locked in the safe? I heard a rumour that police will look after your guns for free, but I suspect instead you'd have to pay an RFD to keep them for you?

Anyone know what should be done in this kind of scenario? Need to store a couple of section 2 shotguns, section 1 shotgun, and section 1 rifle.

Thanks in advance. :blush:

Edited by Trent

Yes, just leave them locked up in the safe, provided it's secure and your Certificate doesn't expire within the period you're away, there's nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't ever entrust even my air rifle to either the Police or a RFD for "safe keeping", if you ever saw it again it would be bashed to bits. :blush:

Cat.

Yes, just leave them locked up in the safe, provided it's secure and your Certificate doesn't expire within the period you're away, there's nothing wrong with that.

I wouldn't ever entrust even my air rifle to either the Police or a RFD for "safe keeping", if you ever saw it again it would be bashed to bits. :blush:

Cat.

+1

And don't forget to oil the **** out of them before you leave!

Mark

Being in the military I have had a number of periods overseas so had to store my shotguns each time. Two occasions (one for 3 years the other 4) I left them on my brother-in-laws SGC and he put them in his cartridge cabinet. Both guns were lightly oiled and stored on their butt. When I returned I gave them both a good clean and stripped everything down. The stocks were fine and no rust on the metal.

As has been said, dont over oil (just wipe on then wipe off) and store in a damp free environment.

Edited by stripey999