What to Do

Sako85243

Hi Chaps,

I wonder if any of you can offer some advice to me.

I have recently taken up clay shooting (been rifle and game shooting for years) my son

has started to come shooting DTL as well and is dead keen..so far so good.

I have been using my Beretta onyx (game gun) its left hand as due to eye problems I had to abandon

shooting off my right shoulder many years ago and using a rifle left handed is no big deal

1 eye closed anyway,I also shoot DTL with right eye closed,both eyes open I dont know where I am

and brain gets confused !!..so breaking about 17 /18 ex 25,but not improving any.

I borrowed A chaps rizzini (trap) RH on the ground the other dayand shot 21 straight off..chuffed!!

So I think I shall invest in a trap gun,for myself...however my son 13 years old who shoots RH (borrowed game gun)

is also breaking 16/17 ex 25 I would like to get a gun we can both use (he's big enough to wield a adult gun)

So is it possible to get a gun that we both can use without the expense of buying 2 trap guns.

He's so keen I dont want to dispirit him by getting agun for myself and improve (hopefully) while he may not.

any ideas

Thank you Sako85243

Did you shoot the Rizzini off your left shoulder?

Yes, it had a central bead and a red neon front type front bead,so just lined the 2 up so I could see a"8"

and made sure cheek was firmly fixed to the stock...21 scored using only 1 shot each time from bottom barrel.

I dont know a lot about these things being mainly a rifle person, but I was thinking if a trap gun had a fairly

straight stock and not much cast it might be useable to both my son and I,I dont however wont to give him

any unnecessary handicaps or start bad habits.

thanks for any suggestions

Sako85243

Hi Sako,

There is a big difference in the stocks between a game and trap gun. A trap stock comb is designed to raise your eye above the rib so that you can see the target quickly, the chances are a game or sporting stock will be too low in the comb for trap shooting. I would be surprised if a trap gun to fit you would also fit your 13yo son unless you are of a very similar build. The best thing you can do is both go along to a gunshop and try a trap gun together.

Italian trap guns tend to have higher combs than Miroku or Brownings because of the Italian style of shooting. You can get used to shooting with a high comb provided it is not too high but you'll be wasting your time with a comb that is too low as it will lead to head lifting off the stock in order to see the target.

North Ayrshire SG has a gunshop and DTL layouts and will let you try the guns, the owner Tom Young has a good reputation

http://www.continentalshooting.co.uk/visit...isiting_us.aspx

Macleods in Tain also keep a few trap guns in stock http://www.rmacleod.co.uk/shooting.htm

I hope that helps,

Phil

[quote The best thing you can do is both go along to a gunshop and try a trap gun together.

you'll be wasting your time with a comb that is too low as it will lead to head lifting off the stock in order to see the target.

Phil

Thanks for this Phil, bit of a quandry really my son is 5ft 9 1/2 and still growing I'm over 5'10 he can easily handle my gun

the problem is he's right handed, I'm right handed but left shoulder due to eye problem.

I really dont know much about gun fit to tell if a straight stocked trap gun would do him and me.

I'll take a look at macleods because that is fairly local to me and the chap who owns it is quite knowledgable and may be able to advise.

may just have to save up and get 2 trap guns

thanks

Sako85243

Edited by Sako85243

Hi Sako,

He is a big lad then. You'd already mentioned the right hand, left hand problem and that will possibly cause a problem especially if he's broad in the shoulder and will need r/h cast to fit him because that'll be awkward for you (I'm a lefty and have been down this road, I shoot a Perazzi and had a custom stock made for it).

You can adapt yourself to fit the gun but it should be the other way round and the gun made to fit the shooter.

Miroku's generally have just a little cast and if one with a fixed stock is too low in the comb the MK38 now has an adjustable stock for height and cast but it won't overcome the fact that the toe of the stock will dig into your chest. Gregor at Macleods is the man to speak to locally. I forgot just how far the Highlands is from Ayrshire when I put the link in for Tom Young's place, but it might be worth a visit if he's got good stock and the opportunity to shoot before you do a deal.

Don't leap in and buy the first gun you see as there's plenty of trap guns out there. Look on Guntrader to check out comparison prices.

Phil

I have looked at this myself I want to buy a LH cast gun but considered the options for my RH GF.

Practical options are one gun with 2 stocks 5 min to swap over with stock key or buy your self a nice LH gun that will last you get your lad a RH gun that he can change as he grows buy a good Browing/Miroku/Berretta and you should not loose much if you look after it. OR a semi that you can change the shims on if your both very slim built then a straight stock may be fine, if you are both broad in the chest i think it will have to be 2 guns.

LEft hand guns are rare so perhaps consider having yours fitted to you and buy one for your son.

Very unlikely IMO to find one locally unless you're very patient or very lucky (or totally not fussy) try a wanted add at some local grounds or risk buying unseen from guntrader one in middlesex.......a DTL gun no less

I know exactly how you feel!!!!

Edited by HDAV