this years birds.............

this year we have gone for 30 ex layers, 20 poults of various strains and we are going to try 20 partridge ex layers to see how they get on.

will be interested to hear how you get on with partridges, have you mixed poults and ex-layers before we tried many years ago and did'nt work well at all, bullying hogging the feeders and we think the ex's brought in a microrganism which did no harm to them but killled a good number of poults.

keep us posted how it goes

Covey

I stick with standard Chinese ring necks with a few melanistic for interest. The trouble is that what one man loves another hates with equal passion, along with all the old wives tales and that new or rediscovered breed that comes along every other year. The only thing I can say with any certainty is that the first hatch often produces the best birds. :yes:

By standard Chinese ringnecks you mean French commons? Or actual Chinese ringnecks that have an amazing blue back and look very similar to manchurians minus a smaller neck ring? I've played and researched into the many strains trying to produce origins and traits recently to try and find some patterns- all interesting stuff. I agree with your last two statements regarding the first hatch being better birds and the many tales regarding strains. I think I'll put a post up too try and get peoples opinions on the strains they release to try and gather some more info for my study. Cheers