Is something trying to give me a hint?

Alpha Mule

I've had a stomach bug (from the kids), twice in the last 7 days. When I say 'stomach bug' what I mean is if I'd eated dynamite I couldn't have exploded more spectacularly (the last bout stopped at about 10am on Saturday).

So: I was up at 3:30am this morning and went to have a chat with some small furry things on my permission about a mile from home.

The first thing I did was to make sure I wouldn't need to 'go' while out there.

Then I got a brew on and had some toast (nothing worse than a rumbling tum giving you away), got my kit into the car and off I went.

Once on site, I got the rifle out and had a look around - nothing. I start into the field and head along the hedge to a busy bit. I clock about 6 possible dinners sitting around, but a bit far off so start doing the creep.

Next thing I know a vixen, dog and two cubs come bouncing out of the bushes. Needless to say all the bunnies scarper. The vixen sees me, yelps and takes off across the field. The dog takes off directly away from me and the cubs head into the bushes again. The vixen then sits about 80 yards off yelping and yowelling. I watch all the much further off rabbits at the only other busy bit of this field also get spooked and head into cover. So I wander off to check out another field up-wind.

Not much happening there, but I notice my guts are now making strange noises. I let out a tentative experimental tiny amount of 'gas' and decide that I'll head back home - and not take too long about it.

As I'm heading back I see a couple of the earlier targets have come back out. I go back into creep/sneak mode and get up nice and close. One of the lads sits up and looks at me, so I sent him a present. Actually I missed him by about 4 inches!

So I head back home. My guts are playing up again, my sights are WAY out and the fox population is again on the up.

Actually I came across the front end only of a cub further up the field, virtually unmarked, just missing everything behind the shoulders. I got a picture on my phone which I might post later.

Maybe I should have just cuddled up to the wife this morning :good: