Carbine & PCP Difference?

Bussta

I know that this question is no doubts in the top 10 most asked airgun questions of all time, but can anyone give me some advise and help me on the difference between Carbine & PCP.

I am looking to get a silenced air rifle to sort out a rabbit problem we have on our shoot and to clean up the squirrel populations in the woods around the shoot - I have done this previously with my 12 bore, with much success, but little stealth as it's so noisy, so I am after a CHEAP decent gun - 22 if thats best for this type of thing that is accurate and deadly.

I have read a biot on these PCP guns, but don't own a scuba bottle and don't fancy the idea of having ti fill up all of the time. Are Carbines more powerful that Spring rifles/ I have a BSA lightening spring rifle, but think it is ********, and the crack noise it gives when breaking the barrel would scare anything off for miles around.

Is there a quiet option that gives low if not no recoil and accurate other than buying a pcp gas canister gun?

PCP - You need a bottle or pump. Springer - you dont

Carbine means a shorter version of the above rifle, be it PCP or springer. Full length versions are normally refered to as 'rifle' or 'rifle length'.

Edited by donkeymagic

Allright mate.

I will try to sum up my thoughts on your predicament........................

If CHEAP is your only option then you will be stuck with a springer, possibly secondhand. These can have silencers but you do still have the BOING effect. Nothing wrong with them at all.

If SILENT is your main priority then it will have to be PCP with the charging apparatus. This will cost upwards of £400 for a decent second han set up.

If you can narrow down what you want to go for we wil help all we can!

S200 and stirup pump.

light weight, low cost accurate and full power. Second hand kit is going to set you back about £250ish

if you want to spend a bit more S400 would be the rifle and stick with a stirup pump.

failing that your looking at either a PARK rifle or the TX 200 SR both around the £250-300 mark second hand, both are semi recoiless spring powered rifles.

ROB :devil:

Carbine - The Stock Extends to muzzel Tip, Normaly this is a short cut down version of a rifle But there are also many full length Carbines.

PCP - The gun is powered by its own internal compressed air tank.

If you want an easy compromise you might consider C02 Guns, some of them can diliver full legal power with a lil tuning , there is no pumping and no scuba bottles , You just buy conveniant little bulbs and use them as you need them.

Smk Xs78 / Xs79 Qb78 Ab/79 many other cheap airsorce an powerlet guns available

Edited by ^mimic^

Carbine - The Stock Extends to muzzel Tip, Normaly this is a short cut down version of a rifle But there are also many full length Carbines.

Not strictly true. E.G. aas410k (carbine).

I am not certain when a rifle becomes a carbine but generally it is just a shorter version of the "classic" length.

In a PCP having a carbine will reduce the number of shots you will get per charge.

But only if the resevoir is smaller as well as the barrell!!

nope, a carbine is less efficient with the air e.g. carbine barrel fitted to a S400 classic will give less number of shots.

greatest number of shots will be from a S400 in .22 with the least being from a .177 carbine.

ROB :devil:

In a PCP having a carbine will reduce the number of shots you will get per charge.

But only if the resevoir is smaller as well as the barrell!!

Sorry Snakebite but your incorrect. A carbine version of the same type PCP rifle will use more air per shot, thus reducing the number of total shots per charge.

Edit: Sorry, didnt see rob posting as well.

Edited by Axe

If I am wrong I apolagise but.........

Is the BSA super 10 (@37.5") the exact same "chassis" as the BSA super 10 carbine (@33.5"). The only difference being a 4" shorter barrell? (and maybe silencer configuration???)

The volume of the bottles are the same are they not? Which means the shot count is the same regardless of barrel length.

Granted the AAS410 is completley different in barrel and resevoir size so would offer a different shot count.

Not wishing to be picky just getting things straight in my head :devil:

Edited by SNAKEBITE

Not strictly true. E.G. aas410k (carbine).

I am not certain when a rifle becomes a carbine but generally it is just a shorter version of the "classic" length.

Im not certain either, Iv always taken it that the stock will run under the barrel right upto the muzzel, for example the sheridan Cb9 Id call a full length carbine.

but im not sure that is the right word for it?, The dictionary gives it as a 'small light rifle'.

Snakebite, the shots per charge on the BSA SuperTEN are approximately as follows:

.22 Standard = 230

.22 Carbine = 150

.177 Standard = 160

.177 Carbine = 100

This info came from here.

Hope that clears it up for you mate. :/

Thanks!!

Oh am I allowed custard with my humble pie? :devil:

Go on then if it helps you swallow.......... :huh:;):D:D

Accoriding to the forum dictionary, a carbine is usually taken to be a shortened version of a long arm, held in two hands and firing a pistol calibre cartridge. :devil:

congradulations axe welcome to "how to get confused in two easy steps" LOL

step one find an irrelavent discrition

step two post above description in airgun forum

:huh:;):D:D:/

and mimic there are very few rifles where the stock reaches all the way forward to the resevoir or the end of the barrel

some examples of full length rifles with their carbine equivalents.

HW97 and HW97k

TX200 MK3 TX200HC (hunter carbine 7.5" barrel)

THEOBEN EVOLUTION THEBEN FENMAN (ok so the fen man is not stricktly the carbine version but its pretty close)

S4** CLASSIC S4** CARBINE

BSA S10 BSA S10 CARBINE

BAS HORNET BSA ULTRA (again stricktly speaking not a carbine version of the same rifle as there is no reg fitted to the ultra but placed side by side it loks like a carbine version)

there are a lot more rifle and carbine versions out there of variouse rifles and this is by no means all of them LOL

but there are some rifle out there that only come in carbine or full length, most notable of the carbines should be the GUN POWER STEALTH just over 24" long!!!!!! Which is classed as a rifle NOT a carbine!!!!! now go figure that one out LOL

ROB :lol:

yeh they are pritty rare its more comon in firearms but even then its mostly only old style muskets n things, not something you see often, certainly extreamly few airguns with that type of stock

do you know the actual word for it?

Edited by ^mimic^