Frustrated and Annoyed Help needed Urgently

Fisherman Mike

Computer Help Needed.

I wonder if anyone can help me with my internet connection. I have a BT home hub 2 which I have installed in accordance with the instructions from BT. It’s a replacement Hub as I have had connection problems in the past and they suggested it was the hub at fault.

Anyway I cannot maintain a wireless connection on the desk top. I was originally connecting by Ethernet cable to the back of the home hub which for some reason once set up and working, suddenly ceased every time the desk top was shut down. All other computers in the house (3, including online games consuls) have always worked perfectly and still do using a wifi connection so I thought it might perhaps to better to connect the PC wirelessly too, as the usb wireless adaptor is very close to the home hub.

So I bought a Belkin G wireless adaptor and set it up in accordance with the instructions and bingo double click on internet explorer icon and instant internet connection.

That is until you log off or shut down the PC when on restart up comes with the message; “internet explorer cannot display webpage. diagnose connection problem etc etc.”

The remote connections all work well and the icon in the lower right of the monitor shows that I have a strong broadband connection.

I have tried re-setting network connections and get as far as “windows is automatically obtaining IP address” and then it just freezes.

If I uninstall the Homehub and Wireless adaptor software and reinstall it all again and then Launch internet explorer it works fine until the whole process starts again.

Anyone have any ideas. Im sure it’s not the Homehub which is the problem as the Braoadband connection is permanently on and my kids internet connections are permanently on! I have also tried Homehub help tool but it just refers me to the windows provider. If I try to “repair” the network connection using the windows tool I get as far as “contact your ISP” or “windows is automatically obtaining IP address” as above

Anyone have any ideas? I’ve spoken at length and great expense to several BT technicians of colonial descent but sadly they have difficulty in understanding my obviously substandard English (that’s what a Public School education does for you!) However I do know now categorically that the Weather in UK is a nice as in New Delhi and how to make a proper Onion Bahji…so the £50 odd quid I’ve spent on the helpline has not been wasted.

Thank in anticipation.

Mike.

Sorry Mike can't help but I can rant on about BT and their **** poor 'customer service' which most of their 'helpline' personel can't even spell let alone understand the concept!

I do know that 'wireless' is about as useful as a tap without water in our area and in spite of all that BT say (they blame everything but their equipment) they are running a 21st cebntury toy on 19th century equipment. Copper and aluminium cabling! We should never have been sold broadband in the first place and if they could BT would love to tell us to take the funny walk only they are the only provider in our area.

I'm sick and tired of seeing those 20mb adverts from BT and their competitors when unless you live in SE1 you haven't a snowballs chance of acheiving anything like that.

Good luck with it and roll on the day when someone comes up with a better way!

Im sure with the BT option you had to set the system up using a USB pen on the main pc and then use this to set up any other pPCs/Laptops on that network...

Dont think you can go straight from cable to Wirless without re-configuring the system etc using the BT CD and the CD with the USB Wireless stick, but i maybe wrong

I was using BT myself but it kept bombing me off and i had to continously keep setting up the system and I have now moved to Sky where I have no probs at all

Im sure with the BT option you had to set the system up using a USB pen on the main pc and then use this to set up any other pPCs/Laptops on that network...

Dont think you can go straight from cable to Wirless without re-configuring the system etc using the BT CD and the CD with the USB Wireless stick, but i maybe wrong

I was using BT myself but it kept bombing me off and i had to continously keep setting up the system and I have now moved to Sky where I have no probs at all

thanks.

This is the main PC I use. It used to work fine (although slow) when I was with Virgin and used a Netgear modem/router. Since changing to Homehub its been tempremental to say the least.

I think I might bite the bullet and get the BT engineer out to sort it....just have to sell a pair of my matched Boss 12 g to finance it!

i have just re-read your original post again. Try this- 1- open internet explorer 2- click on tools 3- click on internet options 4-click on connections at the top 5- make sure "never dial a connection" has been chosen. 6- then click on LAN Settings and make sure "Automatically detect settings" is chosen and "use Proxy" is un ticked Click OK then Click Apply Then OK again. 7- re-start internet explorer and see if that sorts the problem.

Regards

Mark

Edited by shootreview

The thing i found with the BT Hub was that if you reloaded the SW a few times, or ran the diagnostics a few times the problem seem to fix itself for a while...very fustrating as there was no obvious reason why it would work one time and not the other...

good luck with it Mike im sure it will all of a sudden spring into life for you

Ive come to the conclusion after reloading the software for the Home Hub and also for the Bekin adapator and also trying a ethernet cable connection that its not a problem with the Hub or by BT broadband connection. It works fine after being set up again until you shut down and restart when it fails. All windows upgrades are automatically installed and The Mcafee protection is all up to date ( last nights scan found nothing)

Ive tried all the trouble shooting with both windows diagnostics and BT homehub & broadband help. I even restored the computor settings to a previous date which worked until I logged off of Internet Explorer and try to log back on again and it still failed.

Must be the computor or the operating System. Its a Del Ispiron running windows XP. It was manufactured in 2006 perhaps its time to launch it into space and get a replacement with windows 7.

Thanks for all you help and suggestions guys much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

I have read some where that if the pc as Hibernation enabled this sometimes can cause a prob with the Dells....

Control panel then power options just check that Hibernation is not enabled.

I still think the pc is fine, just remove all the files and give it one more go......is it asking you to enter the number on the bottom of the hub to auth you access each time...as it could just be an Auth issue when you are connecting to your wireless network

Ive come to the conclusion after reloading the software for the Home Hub and also for the Bekin adapator and also trying a ethernet cable connection that its not a problem with the Hub or by BT broadband connection. It works fine after being set up again until you shut down and restart when it fails. All windows upgrades are automatically installed and The Mcafee protection is all up to date ( last nights scan found nothing)

Ive tried all the trouble shooting with both windows diagnostics and BT homehub & broadband help. I even restored the computor settings to a previous date which worked until I logged off of Internet Explorer and try to log back on again and it still failed.

Must be the computor or the operating System. Its a Del Ispiron running windows XP. It was manufactured in 2006 perhaps its time to launch it into space and get a replacement with windows 7.

Thanks for all you help and suggestions guys much appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

Have a look in control panel and try turning off the power management settings.

If you head to the Dell website: http://support.euro.dell.com and download the latest "Quickset" software which may help, also download the latest BIOS and install it.

Do you have another web browser installed? if not download Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox and see if you still have the problem.

Cheers,

Jon.