crow shooting

TJ91

the land i shoot over has a very large outdoor pig unit and there is thousand of rooks and jakdaws on ther allday everyday, they used to be very easy to decoy but not anymore, they have wised up to it.

the rookery they come from is the biggest rookery i have ever seen, it is huge, trouble is it is on land where noone can shoot (lady that owns it is against shooting).

any ideas on the best way to get good numbers?

there is no main flightlines as the rookery isnt that far, they come from every direction, i have tried flighting them at stupid o clock in the morning!

cheers for any ideas.

make a permanent hide and leave it for a week or so before getting in and shooting :blink:

we have several permanent hides, they have been moved around often..

i have stood in the tents in the middle of the fields (where they have pens for serving!) because the crows are used to seeing people in there, but they are very wary now!

i am thinking the only way is getting about 10 peopl sat in different locations around the unit to keep them moving

we have several permanent hides, they have been moved around often..

i have stood in the tents in the middle of the fields (where they have pens for serving!) because the crows are used to seeing people in there, but they are very wary now!

i am thinking the only way is getting about 10 peopl sat in different locations around the unit to keep them moving

hmmm, could you rest them or try different decoying techniques or gadgets like flappers :good: you could try sitting in a tractor with an air rifle as they would probably be used to seeing farm vehicles? :blink:

we left them for 6months then tryd again, nothing.

have tried driving round in their little atvs and tractors to no avail.

have tried alsorts of decoys and patterns, black rags, full bodied decoys, gliders, flappers, whirlies, mixed them up and none of its working.owl decoys, heron decoys, fox decoy, dead rabbits under a full bodied decoy...endless lists

there must be something!?

it seems that i set up, have a shot, and everything goes to the next field without looking at my decoys, i get sick of chasing them round and creeping up on them.

the farmer is getting rather annoyed now and i dont want him letting someone else come and take the shooting from underneath me, but i dont know how i can possibly get a good bag to make him smile

hmmm try using a hmr or the likes to pick them off even tho they are far away :blink: its a tricky one, you could as you said get some more recruits to keep them moving :good:

rifle is a no no on the land in question, fencing allover, tin sheds, flat ground, pigs and piglets running about everywhere, shotguns firing up into the air or airifles

Like youve already said mate,try and get a few guns out :lol:

Im in the same situation as yourself,shooting over pig pens,one day it can be good,another day can be totally different :lol: as you say they soon become very wary,try a few guns meeting on a saturday,and spread the guns around the shoot,this will keep them moving :lol:

If your shooting from a hide,use a top net to cover you from above,and move only when the crow/jackie has commited to the decoys ,they have excellent eyesight,also worth trying a rotary/magnet,and use a speed controller to slow it down a touch,a flapper is also good :good:

This time of year should be good decoying,with the young birds about :lol: dont miss them,otherwise you will educate them :lol: and they will become much more difficult to decoy :yes: and only break cover from your hide when you really need to :yes: BB

the rotary we have used has a speed controller thing, tried it really fast really slow and between!

dont have the money for traps at the moment and the farmer wont spend on traps!

i always have a roof on my hide when shooting crows, most of the hides have been made using stuff the pig workers use, things the crows are used to seeing such as bales, pallets and tin sheets, i always dress in the colour of the hide i am using and make sure my face is well covered up

i think i will have to have a word with farmer about getting 5/6 people to surround the fields and a couple in the middle to keep them on the go

doesnt cost me nowt in petrol, cartridges are in the plentyful in my garage and i prefer to shoot than go hit them with a stick after the have been caught in some mesh cage

oh and time doesnt cost me anything, its just there to be used up how i see fit

Edited by TJ91